Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my puppy, Bowie, spayed a week ago yesterday. We have had a lot of complications with the incision and stitches. I posted about some of the complications a few days ago in the Dog Health forum.

Long story short, her stitches came apart leaving her omentum (bloody muscle and tissue) hanging out of the incision. This was after 2 visits to the vet concerning the incision (it was leaking a clear liquid and didn't seem to be healing properly). The vet re-sutured her and bandaged the area, including a plastic shield in the bandaging to keep her from clawing at the incision. They told me to come back in 6 days (which would have been tomorrow) to change the bandaging.

Jump to today, when I noticed a very strong smell coming from the bandaging. I couldn't see anything but I had a BAD feeling. I recently moved, and the vet I used for many years is now 45 minutes from my new house. I have a very good relationship with my old vet, and decided to take Bowie back to them to check things out.

When they took off the bandaging, they found that the shield had cut into Bowie's skin, and caused an infection. My poor little girl is a tough one, and never even seemed to be bothered by the bandaging that was cutting her!

Now my puppy is VERY smelly, VERY infected, and my vet said I have to keep an eye on the cuts because as they heal they may open up and need to be stitched. (Great, more stitches!)

My question is, if this had happened to you, would you continue use the new vet that is 15 minutes away, or the old, trustworthy vet that is 45 minutes away?

I don't know that any of Bowie's complications were the new vets fault, but I do know that when my other female dog was spayed a couple of years ago, she never had any complications.

Also, a consideration for me is that we now live in the country. We have a pretty serious copperhead infestation so having a vet close by is definitely a plus. Not to mention the fact that my dog Toby has on two separate occasions decided to eat scorpions which results in his face swelling up to twice its normal size. (The last time that happened was when I decided to try a new vet!)

I'm not sure what to do, so any opinions will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'd go to the old vet. Yes, he's further away, but he sounds like a better choice for you and Bowie.

Sending healing thoughts Bowie's way . . .

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well in cases of emergencies I don't think you have much of a choice between the two, you'll have to stick to your new vet because time could make a difference. But if its for a normal checkup, or something that isn't too dire then I would think going to the old vet would be fine especially if you trust him.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Are there no other vets close by?

I would call the State Veterinary board and give them the new vet's name and check on if he's had any complaints/disciplinary actions taken against him. If he hasn't, I might give him another shot.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I would ALWAYS use the old vet. I travel 45 minutes to Lola's vet because he was recommended to me and there was no complications during Lola's spay or after. I could have paid less for the spay and had it done closer but I felt that it was better to have her spayed by him as opposed to someone I did not know.

I even travel to him for Interceptor and have her weighed each time I have to buy it to ensure she is getting the right one.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree, stick with the old vet!!

Sending positive vibes to your baby!! I'm so sorry you're going through this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I moved I did some research about the vets close by. The vet that I took Bowie to was the only one that got good reviews on the websites I visited.

I had hoped that this new vet would work out in case of emergencies. I like knowing the vet I take my dogs too, especially when I have to make an urgent visit. The long drive was only an issue because of the emergency situations.

I'm glad most of you guys think I should continue taking them to their old vet.

I had to call the new vet today and let them know Bowie wouldn't be at her next appointment because she had already seen another vet. I really felt bad! I hate to offend or hurt their feelings, but I have to do what's best for my dogs. I just hope that they aren't too upset, because I never know when my dogs might decide to eat a venomous insect or sniff a poisonous snake!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts