Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in two smallish towns, driving back and forth between them weekly, and it's pretty much nothing but rural space. Unfortunately, I see a lot of dead dogs on the side of the road.

A couple weeks ago, though, I saw a dog that was different from most: he was wearing a collar. I considered pulling over to check for tags, to inform its family, but I was late already.

But while I was driving, I started wondering if that would've been a good idea anyway?

If your dog got loose/lost and hit by a car, would you want someone to notify you? So you could have closure and possibly recover the body to bury? Or would you rather it be left open-ended? Maybe your dog was still alive somewhere, maybe even taken in by another family and well taken care of?

I guess there would be other issues with calling a stranger to tell them their dog died, such as anger/blame.

I don't know, something I was thinking about and I wondered what other people's take might be.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd want to know. Unfortunately the majority of people that don't contain their animals (not people who accidentally had a dog escape), could care less about their pet. But I would still call them to tell them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not too crazy of a thought, in my opinion. I've actually seen two different craigslist ads along the lines of this topic. One was someone that I've seen post multiple times over 2-3 months, hoping to find anyone that has spotted their lost dog or even come across the body (dog ended up out the back of the truck or out the window or something somewhere along or near the interstate). Another was someone actually posting that they'd spotted 2 dead dogs along the side of a busy road and just thought they'd post for anyone who may have been looking for their lost dogs.

Personally, despite the pain it'd surely cause (actually knowing my pet is dead), I think I'd rather know.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
This is not a crazy thought, I don't think. I have never seen a dead dog on the side of the road, but if I did I would stop, look for tags and/or write down identifying characteristics and post a CL ad/contact the owner.

If my dogs accidently escaped and were killed, I would want to know. There have been dogs who have been found after several years of being lost, and I feel like I would continue to hold out hope that I would find them unless I knew for sure (as in, saw the body/picture of the body) they had passed.

Even if they don't care, I would still tell them.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would want to know. And if they bothered to put a collar on their dog they probably would, too. Personally, I would be very uncomfortable calling them, though. I'd probably mail them the collar with a note.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would want to know, and I would want my pet back to bury his/her body -burial is my ceremony of choice.
Personally, I wouldn't get angry at the informant, I would thank them for letting me know. It would hurt, but I would be thankful they told me.
Honestly, I think it's worse to wonder. Sure there's the chance they could be alright or with another good family, but there's also the 'what if's, and it's a physical pain to wonder if your animal is frightened or hungry or lost, wondering where you are.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Absolutely I'd want to know. I think not knowing what ever happened to my animals and laying awake at night, torturing myself wondering, is a far worse outcome then having a kind stranger contact me about their fate so I could bury them and bring myself closure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would absolutely want to know. It would kill me with worry not to but I do recognize that some folks who abandon their dogs or don't properly care for them may not want to know. Tough question...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I would want to know. And if they bothered to put a collar on their dog they probably would, too. Personally, I would be very uncomfortable calling them, though. I'd probably mail them the collar with a note.
I would want to know as well for closure and so I could lay her to rest appropriately. I was thinking the same thing. It would be tough to make that phone call, though - I also dont know if I could remove a collar from a dead dog either.

There were dead dogs on the side of the road on the farm in Michigan as well. Many were hit, but there were two that had been shot. Some farmers have dogs for utility purposes only - they have zero attachment to them. I think if we had called them about them they would not care or tell us to mind our own business. Very sad.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would want to know, if i didn't i would always be wondering where my dog ended up, i would not have closure.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would want to know as well for closure and so I could lay her to rest appropriately. I was thinking the same thing. It would be tough to make that phone call, though - I also dont know if I could remove a collar from a dead dog either.

There were dead dogs on the side of the road on the farm in Michigan as well. Many were hit, but there were two that had been shot. Some farmers have dogs for utility purposes only - they have zero attachment to them. I think if we had called them about them they would not care or tell us to mind our own business. Very sad.
Yeah, that's a fairly common way to "get rid" of an unwanted dog. But you'd think they'd take the collar off--if the dog had one to begin with. Ick, I didn't think about the whole "taking a collar off a dead dog" part. I don't know if I could either.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would want to know. When I was a kid my family moved to a new state. Our family dog slipped out and jumped into the dog catchers truck (thankfully). Of course it was evening and AC was closed when we noticed that she was gone. That was the longest night of my life. Not knowing if she was dead or hurt. That was back in the days before microchips. We claimed her the next morning as soon as AC openned and she got her new county tag and ID tag with our new phone number.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would want to know, I would be right pissed if someone knew my dog had died and left me with false hope. this is personal because this actually happend to my mom a long time ago, her Puli jumped the fence and was hit by her naighbor, he hauled the dogs body off and didnt say a word to her, she was left agonizing over her missing dog for a long time before she finally found out.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would want closure. I can live with closure, it is the not knowing that would haunt my nights making sleep impossible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts