Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband's friend just walked in our front door with two pitbull puppies announcing "free to a good home." He says they are 8 weeks old, but it's pretty obvious that they're younger than that. I questioned him about it and he pretty much admitted that they're not but wouldn't say how old they really are. Hubby made the statement we'd like to take one, but only if they're 8 weeks and old enough to be taken from their mom and that he needed to keep them a little longer. The friend's answer was "I'll just give them to somebody else tomorrow."

This is my dilemma. I know that if this little girl goes somewhere else, she'll likely turn into another puppy making machine. If she stays here she'll be at the vet pretty much immediately, on good food, and spayed. She'll have a good life and there will be one less pit out there making babies. I'm leaning towards letting her stay if not permanently then as a foster, but I'm really torn. :redface:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is how I rescued Benny ... the owner was going to dispose of him and not in a fashionable way ... at 4 weeks old. I made it work and rehomed him ... twice. :/

·
Banned
964 Posts
My husband's friend just walked in our front door with two pitbull puppies announcing "free to a good home." He says they are 8 weeks old, but it's pretty obvious that they're younger than that. I questioned him about it and he pretty much admitted that they're not but wouldn't say how old they really are. Hubby made the statement we'd like to take one, but only if they're 8 weeks and old enough to be taken from their mom and that he needed to keep them a little longer. The friend's answer was "I'll just give them to somebody else tomorrow."

This is my dilemma. I know that if this little girl goes somewhere else, she'll likely turn into another puppy making machine. If she stays here she'll be at the vet pretty much immediately, on good food, and spayed. She'll have a good life and there will be one less pit out there making babies. I'm leaning towards letting her stay if not permanently then as a foster, but I'm really torn. :redface:
but...There are 2 puppies...How can you take one and leave the other to an unknown future.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's part of the problem. There's no way I can take on both, even on a temporary basis :( I can't afford vet bills for two dogs at once, and there's no guarantee that I'll be able to find someone to take the other as quickly as I'd need them to.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
That's part of the problem. There's no way I can take on both, even on a temporary basis :( I can't afford vet bills for two dogs at once, and there's no guarantee that I'll be able to find someone to take the other as quickly as I'd need them to.
Those pups need to stay at *least* together for another few weeks. That alone would stop me from taking them in myself. I would, probably, take them and hand them both over to a shelter and hope they could stay together an extra few weeks. It sucks, it's harsh, it's cold, but the bottom line is two undersocialized puppies who don't learn bite inhibition properly isn't what this world needs, either. Especially not when one of them, at least, is likely to still end in a nasty situation - even if you take the girl.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Take both or take none...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...we're taking them both, at least through the end of the week. I have some contacts through the local Humane Society who should be able to help me out, but we're going to take them both for now and see what can work out. I just can't let them leave with him. Unfortunately he won't part with their mom or I'd take her as well, although I doubt she has any real training or socialization, so rehoming her would probably be impossible at this point.

As far as the pups, it's pretty obvious that they're wormy so I have puppy wormer on hand that I'll give them in the morning and the kiddos have them both in the bath as we speak. I'll get them to the vet on Friday to get them a checked out. I'll try to post some pictures here in a little while...maybe you guys can help me figure out how old they really are.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Unfortunately he won't part with their mom or I'd take her as well, although I doubt she has any real training or socialization, so rehoming her would probably be impossible at this point.
Thats kinda sad.. knowing that the puppies mother cant be with her puppies..but you are doing all that you can and thats great!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm glad you were able to take both, even if it's only temporary. At least now they have a chance at a decent future, instead of who knows what if you hadn't taken them in.

·
Banned
158 Posts
How good a "friend" is this guy? And what is the situation with him breeding?

I think that you have done all you can for these specific puppies - taking them in and probably taking them to the humane society to be re-homed...but I am wondering about how many more puppies this will happen to.

If this was a one-off, accidental pregnancy, maybe he has just realized that he couldn't handle young pups, and wanted them OUT. Unacceptable, still, but if that is the case, maybe you would be able to convince him to have the mother spayed so that it doesn't happen again.

However, if he is actively breeding her, but not being responsible about it (wormy puppies separated from the mother this young is clearly a problem) I would consider reporting him to the humane society. It is very tricky, because he is a friend, but I'm not sure that I would be able to be friends with someone who is this callous toward animals. I would have a serious think about your relationship to him, and whether or not it is worth reporting him. Is your friendship with this person more important than abused animals (I would consider taking puppies away this young to be abuse) - especially pitbulls - probably the most misunderstood breed around right now!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here they are all fresh from a good scrub. The little brown girl is a bit more active, almost hyper. The little black girl is the more timid of the two but seems very sweet. My daughter has really latched on the the little brown girl, so we'll probably be keeping her.

I tried to get a shot of their teeth in hopes someone could help me get a good idea of their actual age:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How good a "friend" is this guy? And what is the situation with him breeding?
I don't consider him my friend at all...he's one of my hubby's childhood friends that we see a handful of times a year. He's an absolute moron when it comes to animals, and unfortunately the county where he lives is an absolute joke as far as the presence of any real animal control. As long as he provides food, water, shelter, and a rabies vax he's a stand up pet owner as far as they are concerned. So even if I were to report him nothing would come of it.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
They look young but not super young. They should be eating solid food, right? I think they will be okay, especially if kept together; it'll help them learn bite inhibition. Good for you for taking both. :)

·
Banned
158 Posts
I don't consider him my friend at all...he's one of my hubby's childhood friends that we see a handful of times a year. He's an absolute moron when it comes to animals, and unfortunately the county where he lives is an absolute joke as far as the presence of any real animal control. As long as he provides food, water, shelter, and a rabies vax he's a stand up pet owner as far as they are concerned. So even if I were to report him nothing would come of it.
Wow - that's just ridiculous!!! And so frustrating to KNOW that someone is doing something harmful to a dog and yet you cannot report them. Maybe you could try to help him get educated about WHY puppies need to stay with their mothers, and why it is a good idea to spay/neuter? As he was giving them away, not selling, and you have said that he is just not that smart about animal care, it sounds like he is just ignorant, rather than trying to use his animal to make money..

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Glad you took them ... and good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts