Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a 3 month old puppy that was found on the side of the road down in South Carolina. I have been told everything from a Lab, a Terrier, a beagle, and even a pug. What mix do you guys think "Melo" is? BTW, this is my first adopted dog and I'm already of thinking of getting another. Great site here, BTW.

Jay

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I just adopted a 3 month old puppy that was found on the side of the road down in South Carolina. I have been told everything from a Lab, a Terrier, a beagle, and even a pug. What mix do you guys think "Melo" is? BTW, this is my first adopted dog and I'm already of thinking of getting another. Great site here, BTW.

Jay

I call him cute ;-)

I also think at some point when you get a medium sized, brown, dog you just gotta assume a mutt, with mutts for parents - and possibly even more mutts in their pedigree - and you're not likely to figure it out clearly and easily and call them a Carolina Brown Dog. Which, I realize, is really hard to let go. So, um. My vote is lab/beagle.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I see Beagle. Not sure what else. How big is he/how much does he weigh?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I also see beagle but it's really difficult to tell when they are so young.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's no way to really be sure, but there's something about him that reminds of a "puggle" (what that cross most commonly looks like anyway) mixed with a lab.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention, he also has a very strong sense of smell, and has quite a deep howl for his age. Signs of a beagle/hound? Or do all dogs do this at this age.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
If he's paying and has his nose glued to the ground, yeah. Some kind of scent hound in there, and beagle seems likely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am horrible at this. Personally it's had to tell in pictures because the angles can distort things. One pic I see a trait from breed x, but the next pic that same trait looks like breed y. So I have no idea than unbelievably adorable cute!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I have been thinking of doing one of those DNA tests that you send out as I am very curious about what he is. Are those accurate and/or worth it?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I honestly see the Beagle and the Pug and the Lab in there .... and also "Cute" ... :)

I honestly cannot answer about the DNA tests.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts