Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I haven't had a male dog fixed for 14 years. So when I bring my puppy in @ 11 months to get fixed when I picked him up his it looked like his testicals were still there. So I questioned this the vet said they said they only removed his testicles and left his scrotum. Why? It has caused him pain and bleeding. My other dog just habit all chopped off. Do u know why they do this.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
They don't usually remove the scrotum. They cut above that and remove the testicles there, so there's less risk of cutting the wrong thing. In time the skin will shrink and it won't be noticable, not sure how long it takes though. I would think making that big of a cut and so on would be a longer healing time and more pain for the dog.

If there's a lot of pain and bleeding, then you should contact the vet for aftercare.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Agreed! My dog was fixed 11 years ago with no trauma, using that method. It was a very simple operation. My Vet did give me pain meds, but there was no bleeding, and minimal discomfort. I found it to be nearly as simple as arthroscopic surgery....

My point is - call the Vet. Probably not an emergency, but should be handled Monday morning, unless there's lot of pain or lots of blood. The wound can weep or ooze a little, but should not bleed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts