Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hes a mutt and we got him like almost 2 weeks ago. Hes so cute! But we got him from a dumb lady breeder that treated the pups poorly. and she said she THINKS its a beagle/chihuahua/terrier mix but to be honest i dont see NONE of that in him.. maybe a little chihuahua but i dont see beagle nor terrier. i need help from someone that knows alot about pups. he kinda looks like he has some pit in him.. and he acts like it because he bites everything, even my foot and hands and he bites HARD for a pup, or maybe bulldog, because of his short snout. his tail looks like of a chihuahuas i guess, it stays curled up.. but anyways i need someone to help me out.

UPDATE!! i searched beagle chihuahua mix, beagle pug mix, chihuahua pug mix, and none of them looked like my pup or my pups brothers and sisters. i dont have a pic of his brothers and sisters but all i remember is he had a brother the same color and looked exactly like him, and a sister that looked smack like him except she was all black. while surfing the web searching hard for a possible mix. i came across this mix

a LABRADOR CHIHUAHUA MIX, LOOKS LIKE THEY CAN BE HIS LONG LOST BROTHERS. what do you guys think??
:ear: :ear: :ear:

·
Registered
31 Posts
You think he has pit because he bites everything? That's just normal puppy behavior. My moms little PUREBRED chihuahua likes biting everything and my one year old Great Pyrenees likes to bite when she gets riled up too. That means nothing of the breed. My honest opinion however, he looks like a lab mix...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he doesnt JUST bite. he bites hard and pulls and growls and acts like hes hunting down my feet and i push him hard enough to fall off his feet and he comes back for more and doesnt quit, hes like 3 weeks old. ive grown up with pitbulls ever since i was small. all my uncles and cousins got pitbulls. my pup behaves very similar to those pits

·
Registered
423 Posts
What you are describing is normal puppy behaviour. Nothing to do with the breed or breeds of dog. If the puppy is only three weeks old it needs to be with it's mother. Puppies shouldn't leave their mother before eight weeks old. I don't see any Pit in him. He's a cute puppy.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If he's 3 weeks old, he's too young to be away from his litter...are you mistaken about his age?

Puppies bite, growl. Not just pits. I see Chih/beagle and maybe a little pug.

·
Registered
468 Posts
he doesnt JUST bite. he bites hard and pulls and growls and acts like hes hunting down my feet and i push him hard enough to fall off his feet and he comes back for more and doesnt quit, hes like 3 weeks old. ive grown up with pitbulls ever since i was small. all my uncles and cousins got pitbulls. my pup behaves very similar to those pits
That is typical puppy behavior of all breeds. My chihuahua did that as a pup, as did my yorkie. I see a little bit of beagle.

Are you sure he is three weeks old? Puppies aren't supposed to leave their mom until at the very, very least 8 weeks. Small dogs like chihuahuas need to stay with their mom at least 12 weeks. If he is three weeks now that means your breeder sold him to you when he was a week old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well yea im probably mistakin from the age. but the lady said he was like 3 weeks old. if he is then he seems fine without his mom, never cries unless its left alone.
i dont see any beagle in him, beagles snouts are longer, and his ears are big but it would be bigger

·
Registered
468 Posts
well yea im probably mistakin from the age. but the lady said he was like 3 weeks old. if he is then he seems fine without his mom, never cries unless its left alone.
i dont see any beagle in him, beagles snouts are longer, and his ears are big but it would be bigger
He is still a puppy so his snout will of course not be as long, and he won't look 100% like a beagle either, he is a mix like you said. Either the lady lied to you or she is an extremely irresponsible breeder, 3 weeks is way too young. Everyone and everything seems fine until it isn't. Puppies aren't even supposed to be eating hard food at 3 weeks, they still need their mothers milk until around 7-8 weeks old and the immunities she provides for them. Moms and litter mates also help teach proper manners and behaviors. A puppy not raised like that can develop really bad behavioral issues.

·
Banned
43 Posts
First off he looks to be about 6-8 weeks old. To me he looks like a pug/beagle cross. He may have other mixes in there as well.
Pits don't bite more then any other puppy at that age. How much does he weigh at this point?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think I'd go with Pug/Beagle/Chi. How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
31 Posts
In response to being raised around pitbulls and having family members who own them, ALL puppies play this way, not just pitbulls. In the past fifteen years between myself and my mother we've had three pitbulls and I find saying a dog is pit just because of the way it plays rather appalling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welp, ive only been around pitbull dogs and puppies, this is the first time ive had a non pit pup so idk anything about dogs outside of pits lol.
and idk how much it weighs, ill weigh it tomorrow and come back with some feedback, thanks to all

·
Banned
43 Posts
Aayden-- I don't think that Jah was attempting to be offensive. :) He's just speaking from his personal experiences..?
Any puppy can play rough at this age. I've had some puppies play a LOT rougher then others (the roughest I've had experience with was a bichon/shih tzu cross.... that thing played just nasty!)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That looks like every other chi x beagle cross i've ever seen. You can see the beagle in the ears right now, he'll probably look more beagley in the muzzle/face as he ages.

All puppies bite during play. It looks vicious and can draw blood, but it's play. You really need to start teaching bite inhibition, right now. I doubt the dog was 3 weeks when you got him, but anything under 8 weeks is really bad, because puppies learn bite inhibition from mom and littermates generally between week 6 and week 8.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
That is most definitely not a 3 week old puppy, so the "breeder" lied to you. That pup is probably 6-7 weeks old, still a little too young to be away from littermates, so he probably didn't get as much bite inhibition from playing with his littermates as he needed (or was he a singleton?), which would explain the hard bites. Read about bite inhibition and how to implement it with your puppy, plenty of stuff on the internet about it. Kicking the dog off you does nothing to teach the pup not to bite, he thinks your playing with him.

As for possible mix, maybe chihuahua, maybe beagle, maybe pug or bulldog who knows. He's really too young to tell right now. But there is no american pit bull terrier in that puppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANK YOU ALL YOU ALL HAVE BEEN SO HELPFUL!
and yea then it must be a beagle/chi. he definately has the tail of a chihuahua
i love him!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts