Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my year old chuh Head Dog Eye Carnivore Dog breed Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey Fawn Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey Whiskers iaia has an unusuashaped hed Ill post potos I thought it was pear or apple a person at the dog park said it looked like a Bat Head? anyone know what it is ?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Looks like a perfectly normal Chihuahua head to me.

This is from the AKC Chihuahua standard:

Head: A well rounded "apple dome" skull, with or without molera. Expression - Saucy. Eyes - Full, round, but not protruding, balanced, set well apart-luminous dark or luminous ruby. Light eyes in blond or white-colored dogs permissible. Blue eyes or a difference in the color of the iris in the two eyes, or two different colors within one iris should be considered a serious fault. Ears - Large, erect type ears, held more upright when alert, but flaring to the sides at a 45 degree angle when in repose, giving breadth between the ears. Stop - Well defined. When viewed in profile, it forms a near 90 degree angle where muzzle joins skull. Muzzle - Moderately short, slightly pointed. Cheeks and jaws lean. Nose - Self-colored in blond types, or black. In moles, blues, and chocolates, they are self-colored. In blond types, pink noses permissible. Bite - Level or scissors. Overshot or undershot, or any distortion of the bite or jaw, should be penalized as a serious fault. A missing tooth or two is permissible. Disqualifications - Broken down or cropped.

This is from the UKC Chihuahua standard:

HEAD
The Chihuahua has a distinctive headpiece that is essential to correct breed type.

SKULL
The skull is large and well rounded, sometimes called an “apple dome” or an “apple head”. Viewed from the side, the line of the skull should curve in a semi-circle from the occiput around to the muzzle. The stop is vertical with the line of the skull, forming a 90-degree angle where it joins the muzzle. Cheeks are clean.
Serious Faults: Flat skull; stop with an angle greater than 90 degrees.
Disqualification: An open fontanel, a hole or gap in the center of the skull, referred to as a molero.

MUZZLE
The muzzle is moderately short and somewhat pointed, although it should be broad and deep enough to support healthy dentition. Viewed from the side, the bridge of the muzzle forms a right angle to the line of the forehead. Lips are tight and clean.

TEETH
The Chihuahua has a complete set of evenly spaced, white teeth meeting in a scissors or level bite.
Serious Faults: Overshot or undershot bite; wry mouth; crowded teeth; missing teeth; mouth unable to close.

NOSE
Nose color varies with coat color. Accepted nose colors include black, brown, beige, pinkish-beige, or reddish-beige.

EYES
Eyes are full but not protruding, and set well apart. Expression is bright and the eyes are luminous. Eye color varies with coat color, but dark eyes are preferred. Light eyes in dogs with pale coat colors are permissible but not desirable.

EARS
Ears are large and erect, broad at the base and tapering towards their slightly rounded points. They are set so that the bottom edge of the ear is attached at the same level as the outer corner of the eye. The ears are normally carried so that the tips point slightly outward. This ear carriage is sometimes referred to as “at 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock,” referring to the position of these numbers on a clock face. A line drawn from the outer corner of the eye to the inner corner and a line drawn from the inner corner of the eye to the tip of the ear form a 45-degree angle. When the dog is alert, the ears may be raised slightly. Longhaired Chihuahuas whose ears droop slightly as a result of the weight of heavy fringing on the ears are not to be penalized.
Disqualifications: Drop ears after six months of age; cropped ears.

And I take observations about my dogs from random strangers with a very large grain of salt...

This dog, who was 22" tall and weighed 48 #, was called a Labrador, an husky, an "English Terrier", a pit bull, a "Doberman Pincher", a Great Dane, a Pharaoh Hound, and one person swore that she and my German shepherd could have been litter mates (they look nothing at all alike...). All by people who said they knew what they were talking about.

2016-8-12 Leo & Ilka DSC_0207 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

• Love
Reactions: lynnron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a perfectly normal Chihuahua head to me.

This is from the AKC Chihuahua standard:

Head: A well rounded "apple dome" skull, with or without molera. Expression - Saucy. Eyes - Full, round, but not protruding, balanced, set well apart-luminous dark or luminous ruby. Light eyes in blond or white-colored dogs permissible. Blue eyes or a difference in the color of the iris in the two eyes, or two different colors within one iris should be considered a serious fault. Ears - Large, erect type ears, held more upright when alert, but flaring to the sides at a 45 degree angle when in repose, giving breadth between the ears. Stop - Well defined. When viewed in profile, it forms a near 90 degree angle where muzzle joins skull. Muzzle - Moderately short, slightly pointed. Cheeks and jaws lean. Nose - Self-colored in blond types, or black. In moles, blues, and chocolates, they are self-colored. In blond types, pink noses permissible. Bite - Level or scissors. Overshot or undershot, or any distortion of the bite or jaw, should be penalized as a serious fault. A missing tooth or two is permissible. Disqualifications - Broken down or cropped.

This is from the UKC Chihuahua standard:

HEAD
The Chihuahua has a distinctive headpiece that is essential to correct breed type.

SKULL
The skull is large and well rounded, sometimes called an “apple dome” or an “apple head”. Viewed from the side, the line of the skull should curve in a semi-circle from the occiput around to the muzzle. The stop is vertical with the line of the skull, forming a 90-degree angle where it joins the muzzle. Cheeks are clean.
Serious Faults: Flat skull; stop with an angle greater than 90 degrees.
Disqualification: An open fontanel, a hole or gap in the center of the skull, referred to as a molero.

MUZZLE
The muzzle is moderately short and somewhat pointed, although it should be broad and deep enough to support healthy dentition. Viewed from the side, the bridge of the muzzle forms a right angle to the line of the forehead. Lips are tight and clean.

TEETH
The Chihuahua has a complete set of evenly spaced, white teeth meeting in a scissors or level bite.
Serious Faults: Overshot or undershot bite; wry mouth; crowded teeth; missing teeth; mouth unable to close.

NOSE
Nose color varies with coat color. Accepted nose colors include black, brown, beige, pinkish-beige, or reddish-beige.

EYES
Eyes are full but not protruding, and set well apart. Expression is bright and the eyes are luminous. Eye color varies with coat color, but dark eyes are preferred. Light eyes in dogs with pale coat colors are permissible but not desirable.

EARS
Ears are large and erect, broad at the base and tapering towards their slightly rounded points. They are set so that the bottom edge of the ear is attached at the same level as the outer corner of the eye. The ears are normally carried so that the tips point slightly outward. This ear carriage is sometimes referred to as “at 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock,” referring to the position of these numbers on a clock face. A line drawn from the outer corner of the eye to the inner corner and a line drawn from the inner corner of the eye to the tip of the ear form a 45-degree angle. When the dog is alert, the ears may be raised slightly. Longhaired Chihuahuas whose ears droop slightly as a result of the weight of heavy fringing on the ears are not to be penalized.
Disqualifications: Drop ears after six months of age; cropped ears.

And I take observations about my dogs from random strangers with a very large grain of salt...

This dog, who was 22" tall and weighed 48 #, was called a Labrador, an husky, an "English Terrier", a pit bull, a "Doberman Pincher", a Great Dane, a Pharaoh Hound, and one person swore that she and my German shepherd could have been litter mates (they look nothing at all alike...). All by people who said they knew what they were talking about.

2016-8-12 Leo & Ilka DSC_0207 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr
Thank you so much for your answer, so I do have a normal Chihuahua , where we purchased him was a breeders type puppy store that was gauarenteed with all the paper work, I never knew there were so many discriptions for a dogs head structure and teeth and lips , so I think Im OK thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts