Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Rocky from a shelter and on his papers they had him as 100% lab. When I take him out, some people ask if he is a golden lab mix and others ask if he is a fox red lab. I usually give the answer that he is one or the other. What do you all think? He is now a little over a year old, weights between 75 and 80 pounds, and when standing up he is around 5'6"

DSC_7483.jpg DSC_7056.jpg DSC_0457.jpg

Also, Rocky used to have a brown nose and the area around his eyes were brown as well. Now, his nose is pink and the area around his eye is pink too. Anyone know why that would happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
He very well could be pure lab, or I actually might see a little weim there (labxweim mixes are more common that people think). If you can get any pictures of him standing up to the side, that may help. Labs can have liver pigment though.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Looks pure lab to me!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Ok, yeah he's a pure lab.

·
Registered
110 Posts
100% pure Labrador Retriever right there.
They can come in all different shades of "yellow". From very pale yellow/white, to an almost deep red/yellow.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dudley is not liver nose and eye rims, dudley is pink nose and eye rims(AKA lack of pigment) .
My understanding has always been that if his eye rims aren't black and are liver he's a dudley- its described as a chocolate in a yellow bodysuit. http://www.hunterscreekretrievers.com/pages.asp?pageid=26005

If he had black eye rims, he would be a yellow with a snow nose.

ETA: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/yellow-pigment.html

apparently, different definitions of dudley are floating around. I've heard many reputable breeders call these liver pigmented yellows dudleys. Apparently a "true dudley" is a pink pigmented pup but most of the lab people I know would consider this dog a dudley.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts