Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so 4 days ago, i got my dna tests back for my mastiff. turns out she's 50% Neo mastiff, 40% Italian Corso and 10% great dane

3 minutes ago she attacked my jack russell, she had him in her mouth, shaking him like a dead rabbit. I mean he's a little asshole and seriously pisses all the other dogs off, but i've had chessie for a year and she's been nothing but gentle. I doubt her breed has anything to do with it, but i'm very unfamiliar with italian corsos and someone said they tend to do that, just go from calm into attack mode. Baxter is ok, just covered in slobber, shaken up and had a few bites in his ear, that bled a little. the mastiff is an inside dog, due to me living in the middle of nowhere i need something big inside with me...so she doesn't see the jack russell an awful lot....i corrected her by growling and locking her in one of the runs....does anyone have any advice....

·
Registered
473 Posts
You growled at the dog? My first piece of advice would be not to do that anymore!!

I don't have great advice about the dogs not getting along, but I do have some advice regarding your new breed knowledge about your mastiff - Ignore It. Handle the situation and your dog the same as when you didn't know what she was. Just because you know (or at least were told by a DNA test which are a bit suspect to begin with) she's Italian Corso, don't let that alter your opinion of her. She's the same dog you've always had and the (un)predictability hasn't changed from one day to the next so don't let it change you either.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If the little dog is "a little asshole" and "seriously pisses the other dogs off," I wouldn't say your big dog acted out "unpredictably" at all. Your big dog has given you and your little dog a serious warning. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the little dog sustained some internal injuries in addition to what you can see, so a vet visit should be in order. The big dog didn't deserve to be disciplined for her actions. The little dog needs to be kept away from the other dogs he pisses off, or next time you all may not be so lucky. I also suggest you contact a qualified behaviorist for more help:

http://www.iaabc.org

http://www.animalbehavior.org

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the little dog is "a little asshole" and "seriously pisses the other dogs off," I wouldn't say your big dog acted out "unpredictably" at all. Your big dog has given you and your little dog a serious warning. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the little dog sustained some internal injuries in addition to what you can see, so a vet visit should be in order. The big dog didn't deserve to be disciplined for her actions. The little dog needs to be kept away from the other dogs he pisses off, or next time you all may not be so lucky. I also suggest you contact a qualified behaviorist for more help:

I have had a behaviourist out before and she said they were all pretty well adjusted. the thing is the jack russell has never really annoyed the mastiff before, it's always the kelpie and gsd that get pissed off, the mastiff and him usually get on fine. he doesn't have an internal injuries, she only grabbed his head nowhere else and her mouth is pretty soft. I called my neighbour who's a vet nurse, she'll come and look at him in an hour or so. the thing is i'm 5 hours from the nearest vet and whoever read my previous thread will know that i'm skint at the moment and unable to pay vet bills....(I paid for the DNA test 4 weeks back) he's fine and running around playing with the other dogs now....no worse for wear

·
Registered
3,436 Posts

yes yes yes yes yes yes YES and AMEN!! Ditto everything.

Sounds like maybe you need a better behaviorist and you definitely need to get control of your little dog. It's really not fair he should be allowed to abuse the others.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes yes yes yes yes yes YES and AMEN!! Ditto everything.

Sounds like maybe you need a better behaviorist and you definitely need to get control of your little dog. It's really not fair he should be allowed to abuse the others.
it's not that he abuses the others, he's just annoying. the others despite their breeds are very low energy dogs and he's ultra high energy. and i guess they just don't click and he does silly thing like bite feet to get them to chase him....behaviourists charge 300 dollars just to drive out here and another 200 for the lessons, i can't afford that. any actual advice, apart from the impossible

·
Registered
296 Posts
jack russells are annoying assholes, they're experts at being assholes. i had a jrt corgi cross that was the exact same way... she got to stay with the asshole ex and they are 2 peas in a pod.
I suggest you keep the jack away from the other dogs, or find a more suitable home for the jack. Dogs shouldnt stress you out, they should relieve stress and it sounds like the jack is the "weakest link" in your senario

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jack russells are annoying assholes, they're experts at being assholes. i had a jrt corgi cross that was the exact same way... she got to stay with the asshole ex and they are 2 peas in a pod.
I suggest you keep the jack away from the other dogs, or find a more suitable home for the jack. Dogs shouldnt stress you out, they should relieve stress and it sounds like the jack is the "weakest link" in your scenario
I'd never get rid of any of my dogs. that will never be an option, there are enough homeless dogs already and i bought baxter and i take my repsosibilities very seriously. baxter is currently yarded separately, due to his annoying habits. he's only allowed to have supervised one on ones with the kelpie as he doesn't seem to mind and is the least likely to get pissed.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
If you can't work with a behaviorist then structured play time is definitely a must. You need to be watching at all times and when you aren't - the dogs need to be separated. It's also worth considering that just because your other dogs tolerate the 'annoying' behavior now, doesn't mean it will continue on that way. As may have been proven with Chessie, most dogs eventually reach their 'breaking point'. Or Baxtor may just end up annoying them at the wrong time, invoking a similar reaction from a dog you previously thought wasn't bothered by him.

Does Baxtor obey you during play time in terms of coming when called, sitting, etc.? If so, it would benefit you to intervene when he gets to high strung for the other dogs. Call Bax away and have him relax for a few minutes until he's cooled down. This also gives the other dogs a break from whatever he was previously doing. If he doesn't currently respond reliably during play time then this is something you need to work on.

Another tactic may be playing with Baxtor BEFORE he goes out with the other dogs. Give him some good runs with the tennis ball and work some of that extra energy out. Make it so that when he gets with the other dogs it isn't an automatic hyper play session. You have a high energy dog mixed in with some of lower activity - and as such, he needs some extra care and play.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I agree that this has little to do with your breed mix (Chessie) and alot to do with the bad manners of your JRT. He may not be so lucky next time.
Keep the dogs separated. Work on training some manners and impulse control in the JRT and stop growling at your dogs. They KNOW you are NOT a dog.
If you cannot afford a behaviourist then do some research. Manage the dogs for now.
Refusing to rehome the JRT, IF you are not willing or able to manage the situation, puts his life at risk. This isn't about you, it's about the dogs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can't work with a behaviorist then structured play time is definitely a must. You need to be watching at all times and when you aren't - the dogs need to be separated. It's also worth considering that just because your other dogs tolerate the 'annoying' behavior now, doesn't mean it will continue on that way. As may have been proven with Chessie, most dogs eventually reach their 'breaking point'. Or Baxtor may just end up annoying them at the wrong time, invoking a similar reaction from a dog you previously thought wasn't bothered by him.

Does Baxtor obey you during play time in terms of coming when called, sitting, etc.? If so, it would benefit you to intervene when he gets to high strung for the other dogs. Call Bax away and have him relax for a few minutes until he's cooled down. This also gives the other dogs a break from whatever he was previously doing. If he doesn't currently respond reliably during play time then this is something you need to work on.

Another tactic may be playing with Baxtor BEFORE he goes out with the other dogs. Give him some good runs with the tennis ball and work some of that extra energy out. Make it so that when he gets with the other dogs it isn't an automatic hyper play session. You have a high energy dog mixed in with some of lower activity - and as such, he needs some extra care and play.

Hope this helps some.
thank you for that. yes he's very obedient. and before we moved out here he used to compete in agility and flyball. i think that is half the problem, i take him for long walks every day but i will play fetch with him and other games. i move in September to a more populated (yet still rural) area. once we get there he will be reintroduced to flyball and agility, in the meantime he is separated.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Your story reminds me of something...

Once upon a time I knew a woman with a Mastiff named Chubby. The woman's father bred labs, and one day he decided to giver her one, a golden girl named Haley. Those two dogs basically grew up together: they were the best of friends, or so it seemed like... until one day while the womans' boyfriend walked Chubby by Haley's kennel, he[Chubby] busted through its door, and killed her.
Why did he do that? they asked many behaviorists, but no one knew.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that this has little to do with your breed mix (Chessie) and alot to do with the bad manners of your JRT. He may not be so lucky next time.
Keep the dogs separated. Work on training some manners and impulse control in the JRT and stop growling at your dogs. They KNOW you are NOT a dog.
If you cannot afford a behaviourist then do some research. Manage the dogs for now.
Refusing to rehome the JRT, IF you are not willing or able to manage the situation, puts his life at risk. This isn't about you, it's about the dogs.
NO, i will not get rid of my dog. It will be managed correctly and i am currently gathering phone numbers of behaviourists to have an over the phone consultation. as I have said previously, getting rid of ANY of my dogs is NOT an option and NEVER will be. so thank for your input, but no.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I understand. That is why I said "IF" you are unable to manage. Not meant to be combative, just clear.
As long as you do what you can to reduce the chances of it happening again, that is being a responsible owner.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand. That is why I said "IF" you are unable to manage. Not meant to be combative, just clear.
As long as you do what you can to reduce the chances of it happening again, that is being a responsible owner.
sorry i may have overreacted. i had to get rid of a dog when i was fifteen, because she nipped a family members ankle, they shot her. ever since then i have vowed never to get rid of a dog and always do the right thing

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
No worries. I get it.
I'm the same way...took me almost 15 years of working with other's dogs before I would get my own due to a similar trauma. Now, no regrets, regardless of "issues".
Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts