Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 week old Maltese/Shih Tzu puppy, who I plan on grooming some of, if not most of the time. This is my first experience with this breed....I have only had toy poodles in the past. I have never been a groomer, but when I only had one tiny toy poodle, MANY years ago (20 years), I groomed her. I still have my clippers, which they don't make anymore...
Dubl Duck, but my shears have long disappeared. All I had was one pair of straight Dubl Duck shears. My question is, what shears (just one pair) should I order from PetEdge? I can pay up to $65. My puppy is so wiggly, should I get a pair of shear with a ball tip? Is there a disadvantage to the ball tip? Should I get curved, which I've never used? Is 7 1/2" to 8" a good size? I just can't decide what to get. The pair is used to have had a micro-serrated edge, is that important?
Thanks for any help you can give me......
Oh yes, a recommendation for puppy shampoo?
TIA....Linda

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
There are lots of shear brands and styles out there.

A curved shear would work fine, as they can be easier to use to get those 'hard to get' places. Length depends on your preference, but a 7-7 1\2 inch shear should suit you just fine. I don't use ball tip shears, but they should be fine for what you need them for.

I have never heard of your clipper style...Lol. The one thing you may need to check on is if your blade attachments are universal, if you can get new ones, if anyone can sharpen them, etc. If you can't get new parts for it, you may want to check into a new clipper as well; Andis has fabulous clippers, and they are well worth the investment. Blade wise, you need a 10 (for sanitary areas), and a 30, atleast; if you go with those two, you'll need comb attachments for the 30 blade,which will give you a good variety of lengths to choose from. If you want to use regular blades, there are many lengths to choose from (#7 being shortest, and #3\4 being longest).

You will also need decent slicker brushes, steel greyhound style comb, ear powder, brush out spray, some form of dryer, nail trimmers, etc.

For shampoos, I like Bark 2 Basics, and Therapet.

There are several different online sites in which you can search for grooming stuff; petedge.com, groomerschoice.com, groomers.com, etc...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts