Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's countless threads being started all the time about quality food, but I haven't seen many about a quality dog shampoo.

So, what should you look for when picking out a shampoo? Is there anything specific to stay away from that may damage the dog's coat?

·
Registered
296 Posts
honestly its hard to pick a good shampoo without giving it a try. some will say price can give you a good idea (crap is cheap) but then there are some that will just throw you for a loop like that earth bath garbage.

as an ex-groomer and owner of a highly sensitive dog here's my top 3:
Coat Handler shampoo and conditioner
Solid Gold Super Sens Gel
Blue Buffalo Oatmeal and tea tree

·
Registered
494 Posts
The most costier ones tend to be the better ones. But because every dog has a unique physiology, one shampoo might be good for some and not for others. I usually advocate using soft shampoos (oatmeal, aloe, or chammomile) with conditioners, its what I use and works just fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
there are some that will just throw you for a loop like that earth bath garbage.
Really? I have to say I just bought it when I couldn't find my usual brand, Buddy Wash & Buddy Rinse, and I was actually really happy with it. The conditioner especially was nice to use, it spread much easier and made his fur softer. The thing I miss about the Buddy brand is the smell, it lasted so much longer and when Taylor got wet again from rain/snow he didn't smell like wet dog and instead he was pleasantly lavender scented *smiles*. With Earth Bath brand it smells nice for a only few days after the bath and that's pretty much it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts