Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What to feed my orphaned 2-3 week old puppy?

Ok now I have a 2 week - Month old puppy who's mom died and now were taking care of her...
but I don't know what to feed her exactly and how offten to feed her....
She is always wanting to eat more and more well drink actually because we give her milk in a bottle....
also the puppy is really small, so small that she could probably fit in the palm of your hand...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You should be feeding her puppy milk replacer. NOT cow's milk.

Lots of good information here:

Two excellent ones that are available are Esbilac marketed by Pet Ag, which is available at veterinary offices and pet stores and Hartz Advanced Care Puppy Milk Replacement powder available at WalMart Stores. Mix both according to the directions on the label (two parts boiled water to one part powder). Store the opened canister in the freezer. Allow some time after mixing a batch for bubbles to leave the formula. Keep reconstituted formula in the refrigerator between uses and discard any remaining formula at the end of the day.
We all have a tendency to over feed puppies. It is much safer to give them a little less than they desire. Over-feeding can lead to pneumonia when milk is inhaled into the lungs rather then swallowed into the stomach. It can also cause diarrhea. It is much safer to feed smaller amounts more frequently than larger amounts less frequently. If milk bubbles out of the pup’s nose it is flowing too rapidly from the bottle. This is usually due to too large a hole(s) in the nipple or over feeding. I microwave a bowl of water and set the bottle in it to heat the formula to 99-100 degrees Fahrenheit before use.
Bottle Feeding Orphaned Puppies

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok thank you! this was of great help! really great help...
ok so let me get this straight...
feed the dog frequently, but small amounts
and give her Esbilac or Hartz Advanced Care Puppy Milk Replacement powder...

also the dog tends to drink the milk fast... i should get a new bottle where the nipple is smaller right?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've never raised orphaned puppies, but that sounds like what that page suggests.

As this thread stands, the title sounds like you have a puppy (8 weeks or older) and you want to find out which dog food to feed it. If the word "orphan" was in the title, you'd probably reach people with experience. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah ok thank you FourIsCompany

also i want to know around how many times to feed and how much to feed each time a day? because feed "smaller amounts more frequently" is too vague

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Read that page. It's probably got everything you need to know. For example:

How Much To Feed:
The two powdered formulas I suggested contain about one calorie per milliliter when reconstituted at one part formula to two parts water. With either of these products, each day the average puppy needs 25-35 milliliters of formula for every 100 grams (about 3.5 ounces) of body weight. Divide this number by the number of feedings per day to obtain the amount for each feeding. During week two, give 15-20 ml for every 100 grams body weight. During weeks three and four give 20 ml for every 100 grams body weight. These amounts are always only a rough estimate. Feed the puppy until its belly is gently rounded or pear-shaped.

How Often To Feed:
Feed very young puppies every three or four hours or six to eight feeding a day.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
When I got Upendi she was only a month old. I agree, she should be on milk replacer not cows milk. You also need to make sure she's warm enough, puppies have trouble regulating there body temp. and if too cold can't digest there food. She should be wormed too. It would help to know how old exactly because around a month, regular food should be gradually introduced and she should be drinking water aswell by that age. Is she pottying? If not you need to help stimulate her to do so, just by gently rubbing down there. And remember her first shots at six weeks. I would call a vet if possible aswell. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I got Upendi she was only a month old. I agree, she should be on milk replacer not cows milk. You also need to make sure she's warm enough, puppies have trouble regulating there body temp. and if too cold can't digest there food. She should be wormed too. It would help to know how old exactly because around a month, regular food should be gradually introduced and she should be drinking water aswell by that age. Is she pottying? If not you need to help stimulate her to do so, just by gently rubbing down there. And remember her first shots at six weeks. I would call a vet if possible aswell. :)
Thank you upendi'smommy, i was going to that exact same thing becuse the puppy milk formula said to do it because she has had trouble going to the restroom, so im about to rub her down there to see if she goes...
everyones information has been very valuable to me

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Thank you upendi'smommy, i was going to that exact same thing becuse the puppy milk formula said to do it because she has had trouble going to the restroom, so im about to rub her down there to see if she goes...
everyones information has been very valuable to me
I'm glad I could help! Good luck with the puppy, it's alot of work. If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Just wondering how your baby's doing today. Is she going potty and eating all right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thanks to your help, she is doing much better, before when we gave the pup cow milk, she would get diareha, but now that we give her the puppy milk formula, she poops out solid waste...
also for some reason she dosent like the puppy milk and tries not to drink it but eventualy she dose though...
and she's starting to bark now, its so cute, but for some reason she dosent like the puppy for

also can some one tell me around what time to give the puppy food, and water and what kind of food to give her?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
A shallow dish of fresh water should be available at all times.

At this age she should be fed 4-5 times a day, evenly spaced. She's old enough for some solids, so try mixing her puppy milk with some canned dog food to make "puppy soup" and see if she can eat that.

What dog food brands are available in your area? If you have a Wal-Mart, try to get some Maxximum dry puppy food. You can start introducing dry food into her diet when she's about 5 weeks old. Soak it in puppy milk until it's soggy. If they have Maxximum canned (I don't know if they do or not), get that, too. Otherwise, Purina ONE canned food is pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts