Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab is about 6 months old now and I have decided to take her off the puppy food. I decided to feed her the diamond naturals as that is the best that I can afford. My question is this..... Should I feed her the large breed food or not? If I am correct, a lab is considered a large breed. Help me decide which diamond naturals food is best for her right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't have a lab...but when I had Goldens...there was no such thing as "Large Breed Puppy" food. We always just switched our pups to adult dog food at around 6 or 7 months. You could compare the nutrients in the two and see what's the difference?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a lab...but when I had Goldens...there was no such thing as "Large Breed Puppy" food. We always just switched our pups to adult dog food at around 6 or 7 months. You could compare the nutrients in the two and see what's the difference?
Maby i wasnt clear enough..... I am taking her OFF puppy food and am going to adult food. My question was should I just give her the adult formula or the large breed formula....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Why are you taking her off puppy food so early?

I feed my labs Purina One. Large Breed Puppy and Large Breed Adult.

I also mix in Alpo/Purina+ canned food.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are you taking her off puppy food so early?

I feed my labs Purina One. Large Breed Puppy and Large Breed Adult.

I also mix in Alpo/Purina+ canned food.

Shes a decent sized dog at 6 months and i have also noticed that a lot of people are saying that they take their dogs off of puppy chow at 6 months..........

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Shes a decent sized dog at 6 months and i have also noticed that a lot of people are saying that they take their dogs off of puppy chow at 6 months..........
I heard 7 should be the youngest. I kept my oldest one on it til she was 1 yr and my puppy will be on it until she's 1 yr. But it's your choice...whatever is best for the dog. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard 7 should be the youngest. I kept my oldest one on it til she was 1 yr and my puppy will be on it until she's 1 yr. But it's your choice...whatever is best for the dog. :)

My question was if i should just give her adult food or large breed food.......

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some people don't feed puppy food at all, so I don't think it's a problem to go to adult food at 6 months, especially if she's already spayed. I have a Rottweiler, and I just use the regular Diamond Naturals, not Large Breed. I think "large breed" formulas are just gimmicks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I know what you mean about the old days there not being Large Breed Dog Food .....years ago it was Puppy Food - Adult Food - Senior Food ----- now you can get just about anything for anything!

Very confusing!!

I read about large breed --- and what I can see is they've added extra vitamins to help the diseases that large breed dogs are common for....hip, joints, arthritis, etc...

IMO 6 months might be a little young for that....I would wait awhile for that change....I changed mine from Puppy Food to Adult Food when he was 8 months old ....Changed from Purina One to Blue Buffalo....and he is doing great!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts