Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a pretty difficult time figuring out what to feed our 14 week lab/akita mix. Right now shes on Purina Puppy Chow but I would like to get her on a higher quality food.

She has a very active life style. She goes to work at a golf course and spends the better part of her day chasing dogs, golf balls, and golf carts. Should she be eating higher protein foods or not?

Is she considered a large breed puppy if our vet guestimated she will be between 40-60 pounds?

Is there a huge difference between a Pro-plan, pro plan plus and Innova??

We're totally lost. I know there are the extremes- raw diets/wolf diets and then generic puppy chow.... whats in the middle??

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't say that your dog should be considered a dog who needs to be fed special food for its size. 40-60 pounds would be considered an average to large dog, not a giant by any means. Large Breed dog foods are more geared towards Giant Breeds who need additional joint support and what not.

Check out this website:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

You can type in any dog food you want and it should come up with a description of it......Pros & cons and the "rating" they give it.

Innova comes up as a four star dry dog food....

Purina Pro Plan is a one star.

You want to try and stay away from corn. Look for a food that contains meat as its main source for protein, it should also be one of the first ingredients. When Corn is the first ingredient, its a filler. That means they have to use less of the expensive ingredient (meat) and fill the food with more of the less expensive (corn).

I feed Nallah Wellness CORE......she does great on it. It gets 6 stars.

I would start out with a puppy formula the first year or so, then move to an adult. Wellness CORE is grain free and contains a lot of protein and they do not advise puppies less than one year to eat this. Wellness makes some great products for puppies as well......Wellness Just For Puppies is great.

Good luck, hopefully this helps you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wouldn't say that your dog should be considered a dog who needs to be fed special food for its size. 40-60 pounds would be considered an average to large dog, not a giant by any means. Large Breed dog foods are more geared towards Giant Breeds who need additional joint support and what not.

Check out this website:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

You can type in any dog food you want and it should come up with a description of it......Pros & cons and the "rating" they give it.

Innova comes up as a four star dry dog food....

Purina Pro Plan is a one star.

You want to try and stay away from corn. Look for a food that contains meat as its main source for protein, it should also be one of the first ingredients. When Corn is the first ingredient, its a filler. That means they have to use less of the expensive ingredient (meat) and fill the food with more of the less expensive (corn).

I feed Nallah Wellness CORE......she does great on it. It gets 6 stars.

I would start out with a puppy formula the first year or so, then move to an adult. Wellness CORE is grain free and contains a lot of protein and they do not advise puppies less than one year to eat this. Wellness makes some great products for puppies as well......Wellness Just For Puppies is great.

Good luck, hopefully this helps you.
Very nice post, very informative.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You could feed a Large Breed Puppy, but do not go with a Giant Breed. There is a difference. Some companies offer only Large Breed Puppy and some offer both Large & Giant.

You will be a medium to large sized dog so Large Puppy food would be suitable if you decide to go that way. Plain old "puppy" food is fine too. Just be sure to do your research and make a good decision!

Another word of wisdom:

Slowly introduce the new food. You'll want to save some of the old food to gradually start mixing in the new food. Switching to the new food all at once will most likely cause an upset tummy and lots of runny stools. Much easier on their tummies to start slow and mix it all in over about a two week period.

Good Luck! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts