Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have an eight week old puppy, she is a boerboel x american bulldog.
At the moment I am feeding her 4 times a day. I feed her a third of canned food with a handful of biscuits 3 times a day and 3 handfuls of biscuits once a day.
This sounds like too much food to me but she constantly whines for food.
Is this enough food for her or is it too much?
Will post a recent pic so you can get some idea of her size.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I don't know that biscuits are a nutritionally balanced food. I thought they were just for treats/rewards. You can find calculators online that will tell you how many kcals your pup needs, and then you figure out how many kcals are in the food you're giving and work it out from there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If she is bloated or runny stool this is a sure sign of overfeeding. It also depends on what kind of food you are feeding her,with low quality foods they don't use as much in their digestion and will therefore be hungry more often. Like Hambonez said, check out your food and calculate it. There are quite a few helpful stickies in the Food Forum. By biscuits do you mean treats or dry kibble?
When we brought Loki home he was being fed 4x a day on Beniful we immediately switched him to Blue Buffalo Wilderness and he bloated - the vet suggested to cut him back to 2/3 cup 3x per day or as needed. If you notice shes skinny/ not gaining weight then go back up. Its mostly what works for your pup.

P.s VERY sweet looking girl. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I mean kibble (sorry am in UK).
Her stools aren't runny but they aren't firm either. She is pooing after each meal and once during the night at the most so she seems okay.
Just got back from vet and he said I am feeding her the right amount and he weighed her and she is 5 kilos which he said is spot on.
I will take her every week or so to get weighed and he said as long as she is gaining weight not to worry.
If anyone has any tips on what sort of food to feed a mastiff x that would be great as I have been told by other dog owners on forums canned food is not good though I don't know what else to feed her when she is so young.
Thanks again for all the advice

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know what you have readily available in the UK as far as brands go but look for a Large Breed Puppy Food.
She is very cute BTW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts