Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I don't think anyone will get on your back about this litter as there really is nothing you have done that was particularly irresponcible especially if you don't know what the signs of a heat cycle look like and arn't even looking for them because you were told when getting the dog that it was spayed.

1st question how big was the male and how big is the female?

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
If you are correct and that it has been 2 weeks since she mated, I agree with spotted nikes that a spay is probably the safest and best option. aside from the normal dangers of whelping, if you are not 100% sure that your small dog is the father, then there is a possibility of a much larger male being the father which would be very dangerous. If she was unattended at ANY time (even in a fenced yard) when she was in heat, she could have mated with another male.

That said, if you are willing to take the risks and are able to keep the pups or carefully find them good homes, then talk to your vet now to get a plan in place.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Yes to the Emergency Spay. MUCH MUCH safer for the female dog than whelping.

If you refuse to do that (and I cannot imagine why you would) then you need to get your dog to a vet to ascertain that she is, indeed, preggo. You need to have her checked again, by X Ray about a week before she is due to ascertain the number of puppies. You need to have an EVet on call and when she starts to whelp have whelping box with rail, clean towels and two people. Most dogs whelp fine, but if, at any time she is pushing and nothing is coming out (after 20 minutes) and you KNOW there are more puppies, you need to rush her to an Evet for an emergency C Section (usually with a spay at that time). This can run you $2500 and up and means that the puppies will be hand raised by you, which is hours of work. In the process of all this you can lose your Mother dog. You can also lose one or all of the puppies. This issue is NOT uncommon (it is called dystocia).

Like I said.. E Spay.. and you save a lot of serious possible heart ache.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Read my post. It gives you that information. My post does not suggest a different parent dog at all.. but it does warn you what you may be in for, what to get lined up and to get the pregnant dog to the vet now.. and expect to go there again close to whelping and then again AT whelping if there is any hint of trouble..

I also added the expected expense.... if things go wrong.

Birthing is one of the most dangerous things female animals can do. I farmed and most cows that I lost were at calving or due to complications from calving. Same with other animals.

My point is, if you are going to do this, be very aware of the risks and be prepared.

I would still vote for E Spay. An E Spay would abort the puppies.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
A lot of the time when the "my dog is accidentally pregnant" threads pop up, I also suggest an e-spay. However, in this situation, I'm not going to suggest that, because you are doing the responsible thing and keeping all of the pups as well as spaying/neutering them and their parents. I hope you will stick around the forum and share pictures as the pups grow!

You should read these e-books:

Canine Reproduction and Whelping (Instant eBook Download)
Newborn Puppy Intensive Care (Instant eBook Download)
Advanced Canine Reproduction and Puppy Care (Instant eBook Download)

They should prepare you for all of the things that will happen, and could happen, when your little girl gives birth.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You DO realize that many times siblings do not get along with each other when they grow up, right? In fact, some of the worst fights (to the death) occur between 2 females from the same family. Two females are more likely to fight than opposite sex dogs. Add in the sibling/relative thing, and it increases. What are your plans if the puppies don't get along with each other when they are older, or if the mom/one of teh puppies don't get along? You'll have to try to find a home for a teenaged dog, that isn't a purebred/show quality dog.
Then that dog is taking a home that could have taken an unwanted dog from a rescue, which means that one more dog is euthanized.
Plus, even though you are against an e-spay, because you don't want to kill fetuses, you might very well kill your dog by letting her whelp. Is that really worth the risk?
I don't expect you to respond, because I get the impression you don't want to hear anything negative, but having puppies is not necessarily "saving lives" or without serious risk. You may be responsible for killing the mom, or taking a home away from a needy dog, later on down the road if you need to rehome one of the puppies.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
WOW thanks for the great whelping advise.
i guess you DONT actually READ the posts in their entirety because if infact you DID, i never said anything about morality and fetuses...
regarding the getting along issue... i see also you are an expert on my abilities in training, nurturing, and pack creation...in your own not so humble opinion.
i came here to do the most caring and reponsible thing i felt i could do, and that was to become educated and help my dog DURING her pregnancy, and do what i can to ensure the best CARE for HER AND the LITTER. i had thought i clearly stated my intentions.
now, i refuse to get into a debate with anyone...even you, regarding this situation. as you have absolutely NO helpful whelping information, which is in fact what i was requesting, perhaps there is another poster that you can harrass and belittle out there somewhere. there will be no further attention on my part to read or reply to your holier than thou self indulgent postings.
good day spotted nikes.
I don't think anything rude or inappropriate has been said to you. If you do intend to have these puppies, everything spotted nikes mentioned will be things you'll have to think about and plan for. There's a lot more to it than just the whelping...you need to think about what will happen after that. I'm not implying anything about your abilities by telling you that.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
i guess you DONT actually READ the posts in their entirety because if infact you DID, i never said anything about morality and fetuses...
regarding the getting along issue... i see also you are an expert on my abilities in training, nurturing, and pack creation...in your own not so humble opinion.
i came here to do the most caring and reponsible thing i felt i could do, and that was to become educated and help my dog DURING her pregnancy, and do what i can to ensure the best CARE for HER AND the LITTER. i had thought i clearly stated my intentions.
now, i refuse to get into a debate with anyone...even you, regarding this situation. as you have absolutely NO helpful whelping information, which is in fact what i was requesting, perhaps there is another poster that you can harrass and belittle out there somewhere. there will be no further attention on my part to read or reply to your holier than thou self indulgent postings.
good day spotted nikes.
Someone that owns intact dogs that can't recognize when a female is going into heat, and lets the dog's mate, are not the usual trademarks of a person who is well educated on dog issues. Someone that won't consider an e-spay when the sire had such serious health issues that he was comatose, and unable to withstand a neuter surgery, isn't the trademark of a responsible person. Someone who has no mentor for breeding, isn't a responsible breeder. Someone who suspects that their dog may be pregnant, yet goes to a dog forum, rather than a vet, isn't the trademark of a person well educated on dog issues. Someone who anthropomorhizes their dogs and the unborn fetuses, and believes that everything will be perfect after the puppies are born, (considering the sire's health), is not the trademark of a knowledgeble dog owner. Forgive me for not knowing that while you lack all of the other attributes of a responsible/knowledgeable owner, you are super well educated on interaction of siblings/female dogs/offspring/training/pet overpopulation. Mea Culpa.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
good day spotted nikes.
Actually, you were given A LOT of whelping advice-- you were given the information that it is dangerous to both mom and pups, that it can lead to expensive emergency complications and you are risking the life of your beloved female to try to produce a litter of pups that (genetically) stand a good chance of health problems (given the sire's health problems) and of behavior issues (bitch fights/sibling fights).

Giving birth is dangerous for all animals (humans included, just look at the maternal mortality rate in places lik Sierra Leone or Afghanistan) and people are just pointing out the seriousness of the situation. And as for the DURING pregnancy part you are so focused on-- we told you to go to a VET.

One of my friends breeds racehorses. She lost one of her mares this year in foaling and then had to deal with the expense of trying to treat the mare (emergency vet trip with a horse ain't cheap), and the time and expense of an orphaned foal. Aside from the emotional hurt, you would need to consider the work it would take to raise a litter of orphaned puppies.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Someone that owns intact dogs that can't recognize when a female is going into heat, and lets the dog's mate, are not the usual trademarks of a person who is well educated on dog issues. Someone that won't consider an e-spay when the sire had such serious health issues that he was comatose, and unable to withstand a neuter surgery, isn't the trademark of a responsible person. Someone who has no mentor for breeding, isn't a responsible breeder. Someone who suspects that their dog may be pregnant, yet goes to a dog forum, rather than a vet, isn't the trademark of a person well educated on dog issues. Someone who anthropomorhizes their dogs and the unborn fetuses, and believes that everything will be perfect after the puppies are born, (considering the sire's health), is not the trademark of a knowledgeble dog owner. Forgive me for not knowing that while you lack all of the other attributes of a responsible/knowledgeable owner, you are super well educated on interaction of siblings/female dogs/offspring/training/pet overpopulation. Mea Culpa.
That was unnecessary, I completely understand why the original poster removed their first post...
And its not just you. The poster came on asking for welping advice, not "I don't care what you want to do, I think you should get an e-spay" even when the owner made it clear that it wasn't going to be an option for them personally.

First of all, the OP didn't let her dogs mate, it just happened, accidents happen, end of story.

I would say the OP is a very responsible dog owner, they are keeping all of the puppies and not sending possible sick puppies to people, and they are coming on here for help. Yet all they get was "Get an E-spay" and "your an irresponsible breeder." If this was me, I would run for the hills too and never look back here.

Saying this, I do see some people that did give good advice and help,

I hope the OP has a healthy litter of puppies and I hope they come back to post pictures, but I am skeptical.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
That was unnecessary, I completely understand why the original poster removed their first post...
And its not just you. The poster came on asking for welping advice, not "I don't care what you want to do, I think you should get an e-spay" even when the owner made it clear that it wasn't going to be an option for them personally.

I would say the OP is a very responsible dog owner, they are keeping all of the puppies and not sending possible sick puppies to people, and they are coming on here for help. Yet all they get was "Get an E-spay" and "your an irresponsible breeder." If this was me, I would run for the hills too and never look back here.
Yes, but in the original post that got the OP all fired up spotted nikes didn't say much about an e-spay except to mention some problems she might face and have to overcome given that she ISN'T going to abort the puppies. No where did it say, "since there will be some difficulties to overcome with the pregnancy and puppies, you HAVE to get an e-spay!" She was just told some things to consider, look out for and PLAN for. If that's rude or inappropriate, I'm not sure what the OP was expecting to be told here.

Maybe spotted nikes was a little rude in their second post, but that was after a huge unwarranted attack from the OP. I probably would have been annoyed too.

I don't know if I'd call it responsible to keep all of the puppies...I don't think the OP has any idea what they're getting into in that department. Usually raising more than one puppy at a time is not a good idea because the dogs bond to each other and not to humans, and because of fights among same-sex siblings. The OP didn't even want to confront the notion that things might not be perfect and wonderful after the birth. She seemed enraged that anyone would bring up the FUTURE for the dogs she is going to be raising, and I think THAT is irresponsible.

I do hope the OP comes back and considers the information provided in a different light. I doubt it, but I truly hope so.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
First of all, the OP didn't let her dogs mate, it just happened, accidents happen, end of story.

Saying this, I do see some people that did give good advice and help,

I hope the OP has a healthy litter of puppies and I hope they come back to post pictures, but I am skeptical.
The OP put an intact sickly puppy mill dog together with an intact puppy mill female dog, and never noticed that the dog was in heat, or being receptive to the male. That's not an accident. That's stupidity. That's not a responsible person to me. She never got either neutered or spayed (or had a VET check to see if the female had been spayed). Also not responsible. Based on the info given by the op, she may love dogs, but she isn't knowledgeable or responsible. And getting pissed because someone points out problems the puppies might have regarding fights/health issues also doesn't bode well. My last post to her was not "nice", but it was out of frustration of someone refusing to consider the puppies ever having a problem, and not believing, as she apparently does, that the puppies are going to be born farting butterflies and pooping glitter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts