Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kai and I had the surgeon visit on Monday morning. His hip is completely out of any socket he might have had. It's almost like the side of the femur head (instead of the top) is now rubbing against the upper side of his hip bone...poor guy.

Dr. Devitt mentioned all 3 types of options for Kai (FHO, TPO, and THR). He also had the same opinion I did of the FHO and TPO not being good options for Kai for his size or success rates and his age. THR is the best option. They have actually performed it in pups as young as 4 months in some extreme cases/exceptions and were successful. He's very confident that doing the procedure in Kai at 7 months will be highly successful.

My biggest concern was payments. Thanks to another members response on a thread, I checked out Care Credit and the VRCC is a veterinary location that accepts and encourages this for their surgical patients as costs are so high. Because of this, I don't have to wait until I have the lump some, thank god too!

Kai is currently scheduled for THR on March 12th. I need to call them though because since his x-rays and such, that hip has slipped ever more. He used to hold that leg up but it hung straight. It now crosses under his belly and in front of his good leg that he hops with. It's also now affecting his ability to go potty outside. He can't squat to urinate or poop which has left me having to wash down his front legs a few times today...and I can't blame him for it at all.

What I would like to know is what it was like for those of you that might have gone through a major surgery, or even THR. with your pup. I know that he's on strict crate rest (other than going potty really) for the first 6 weeks. They then will x-ray him and either give the OK to gradually work on walks and such to get that muscle up and working again.

I've heard the first 3 or so days are intense and very demanding of care (to be expected of any creature after major surgery). I just really have no idea of what exactly to expect.

I am thrilled to get this on the calendar and get my baby boy the life he deserves! Especially with

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update:

Due to Kai's hip being luxated (think that's the right word for it) and it causing him the inability to appropriately get through the days events that he needs to, such as getting up and down from laying, hopping along, going potty correctly/neatly, etc...the VRCC has bumped his surgery up.

He's now scheduled for Monday (2/23)! My x is taking him in for the blood work first thing tomorrow morning. I'll ask for the time off for Wed-Fri giving me 5 days of just straight him time once he comes home late Tuesday afternoon.

Oh my...I'm not sure I am prepared for this journey, but I just wont know until it happens. He's such a good sport, I'm sure that will continue as he goes through this ordeal to make him pain free in the end.

Here we go!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts