Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 mo English puppy shreds everything made of fabric or foam even if it is stuffing-less like Skinneeez. Last night she destroyed her crate mat and cried all night because she had to lie on the crate floor all night. That was the last thing that's made of fabric that I'm giving her. I can't afford to constantly be buying her new toys, blankets, and crate mats.

She really loves fabric things in her mouth more than chewing on bones, rawhide or even food. I was wondering if anyone has had any dental work done to maybe make the teeth for shedding less sharp. I don't even know if it's possible or humane but I think she would prefer to chew on fabric items than hard things and if she could do it without shedding them as quickly, then I could give her fabric items.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
She'd prefer to chew on something worth chewing. Have you ever given her a meaty raw bone? I let my first dog chew mindlessly too. She wanted to fill her belly the hard way rather than eating kibble. Don't allow her to chew constantly, give her something else to do like learn to settle. I did also teach first dog to settle, at least I got that right.

Dogs want to destroy. They deconstruct and eat whole animals in the wild. You might work up games with her. I played box tug with first dog to rip up those Costco boxes I couldn't tear apart or even stomp flat. Worked great. I made newspaper balls and tugs so both of us could 'win'. Put a dry treat into a box and tape it shut. These games were occasional, controlled by me and my dogs respected other paper just fine. If your paper handling consists of things left where she can get to it probably not a good idea. Lots of fun and recycling wants half circles of cardboard the size of my dog's bite, right?

Rounding off teeth won't help. Ginger has only 2 of the 4 enormous carnassials, 3 of the tiny incisors are in poor shape and she is a champ on raw bones, playing tug and probably ripping up toys still although she hasn't lately.

Stop giving her fabric for now, she'll be fine. Work on a settle rather than pacify her with something to fill her mouth. Both of you will be happier.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If it's any consolation, she should be over the worst of it soon. All her adult teeth should be in by now, and are "setting".

My GSD didn't have a bed in her crate as a puppy, because she would chew and/or pee on it, sometimes both. If you think she really needs something besides jut the bare pan to lie on, check out Primo Pads. They are solid, thick, and heavy, and very hard to chew up.

Only allow fabric toys under strict supervision Preferably for interactive play, like tug), and offer a wide variety of durable chews and toys at other times. Personally, after having dogs choke on rawhide several times, I don't give it to them.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
No, don't alter her teeth. No vet would do that, anyway. She's teething, most likely, and her gums hurt. It probably feels good on her mouth. Go to a craft or fabric store, buy some cheap fleece, cut it into strips, and braid it. Soak it in some water, wring it out, and freeze it. Let her chew on it as relief for her gums. Supervise, of course, and take it away if she starts to shred it. Fleece doesn't tear that easily, and if it does tear, it doesn't tear into little strings, so it is safer if she swallows some. Lots of people actually make tug toys out of fleece.

Sometimes some tough love is needed. If she shreds her crate bed, no crate bed. It's not forever, just until she gets past this phase. She has to be in her crate unsupervised sometimes, and having nothing to chew and swallow and possibly cause a blockage is much safer.

My dog used to shred toys, too, but once toys started disappearing when he started to pull the guts out, he stopped. And some dogs just always want to shred stuffed toys. They just have to learn to like something else.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Have you tried more play time? What about edible bones? Some dogs are really wild over stuffed things too they love to rip and shred. But giving them alternatives and getting them tired out helps. One of my new puppy owners broke down and let her use a puppy version of springpole as she was tearing up jeans and boots, it gave her something to do mentally and physical having less need/desire to tear up inappropriate things.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your advice! I'm just feeling bad that I had to take all her fabric things away and was feeling like the sharp pointy teeth (canines) were kind of like our gull bladder, not really necessary anymore. Our vet said a few months ago that all her adult teeth were in so I didn't think it was going to be a phase but just a learned behavior. As for settling, we have been working on it, but no matter how small the interval between treats, she is done with the exercise by 5 minutes. She is a very active puppy. I'm a stay at home puppy mom (until I find a job) and I play with and train her pretty much the whole day (except for meals, forced naps, running short errands and me getting some house work done). We do scent work as well so I think she is pretty well exercised. She is a dog that if not doing something is bored until she falls asleep (anywhere from 10-30 minutes). I will have to make one of my errands a trip to the fabric store/Goodwill for some fleece.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and Spicy1_VV, I tried a spring/flirt pole and my smart little cookie figured out in less than 15 minutes that if she just grabbed the pole out of my hand it was easier than trying to grab the toy. ;)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Teach her to settle. 'Sit on the dog'. Put her on what ever you want as a special chill out spot and every time she gets up put her back there for as long as you decide. I did that with leash on and dog at my feet. Really neat watching my first dog learn this. At first she was forcing her body down and later she knew that a good dog is laying down and if she did that she would never be in trouble. Currently Bucky is learning the same thing - go to the dog bed and he's instantly a good dog. The settling part is difficult because he does need to go out to potty more often and at stranger intervals than any dog I've had.

She's old enough to work on Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol which is an awesome way to work on a solid down stay that has really helped fidgety Bucky calm down. I love his happy flitting about but it isn't a good idea for him to do it constantly as he gets bored and asks to go out, gets bored and bark so has to come in, gets bored and ask to go out ENDLESSLY.

My two figure out when fun things happen and if we do 3 obedience sessions a day 3 days in a row it is upset whiny dogs if we miss a day so vary activities and times and any other cues you might be using so that ruts don't develop and she demands that it is 11:25 and we ALWAYS do This Now. Not feeding her, not walks, not nothing. Okay outside to potty first and last thing but nothing else!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts