Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, my boyfriend and I adopted a puppy from a local humane society. She is a beautiful 5 month old Shih-Tzu Maltese Cross. Unfortunately she was surrendered by her previous family as she was hit by a car and they could not afford the operation to fix her femur. She had the operation about 5 weeks ago, and is on the mend. We brought her home on friday with strict orders of no playing or jumping, no free roam of the house, crating and only 5 minute walks 3 times a day. As you can guess... she has a lot of excess energy that we are unable to help her burn.

We are consistent with the walks, and the potty training, which is working well. We have the crate in the living room with us during the day, and she is not one bit afraid of it. She will go in, and lie down with no instruction from us. We bring the crate in the bedroom at night, and she sleeps in it; she will whine for a min or 2, but then will lie down, and go to sleep.

For the past 3 days, we have made sure to go out of the condo for a bit, to make her comfortable with being alone. We decided to video tape her, just to make sure everything went well. She whined a very little, scratched at the door a little, then within 5 minutes she was laying down and seemed to be relaxed. The next day, we went out again, and set up the camera like the day before. This time when we came home and watched the video, we were surprised to see she put up more of a fuss for a little longer period (maybe 10 minutes). Today we went out, and again set up the camera; this time she was very worked up, it lasted even longer. For all of these incidents, we were gone no longer than an hour. It seems as though she only gets worked up when I leave (even just the room), and pays no attention when my boyfriend leaves.

Today we have been trying to get him to take her for her walks, feed her supper, etc. When they were out for their last walk, I came in the bedroom and closed the door. I haven't came out since, trying to see if she will relax (with her thinking I'm not here).

We are really unsure what we should do next, and how this will ever become rectified. We love her very much, and do not regret adopting her one bit, we just really need some advice. I understand that separation anxiety is common is dogs that have had traumatic experiences (being hit by a car), who have spent time in a shelter (she was there for at least 5 weeks), and sudden changes in environments (1st family, shelter, us); I just really wish there was a way we could help her relax, and let her know she will be okay. I believe it has something to do with her having all the excess energy that she cant burn with her broken leg, however I really dont want this anxiety to set in and be 100 times worse in a month or so when she can go for longer walks, and can actually play.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, please share what has worked for you.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Try not to leave for long periods of time.

You can kennel her, walk out of the room, come back, let her out.
Do it again, a few times, so she knows your coming back.

Then lengthen the time you are gone, if she starts crying, shorten the time.

Then you can kennel her, leave the condo for a second, come back.
Lengthen the time, etc..

She IS going to cry, it's simple puppy anxiety, most likely she will out grow it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If she just acts up for a few minutes and is not hurting herself I wouldn't worry about it yet. It's only been a few days, she will probably get used to it. Maybe leave her a kong or something to do but keep up getting her used to being by herself everyday.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I fergot about that, give her stuff to do in her kennel, like a kong like West suggested.

Don't give her things that she could break off and swallow though.(like stuffy toys, etc..)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. We have gotten her a kong with treats to go in it; have even tried peanut putter. She will pay attention to it while we are still here (we usually confine her about 10-15 mins before we leave so she will get used to being in there before we leave) and then once we open the door she drops it and watches us. As soon as the door is locked, she starts. We video taped her the first dew times, and it just seems like it progressively gets worse.

We do the practicing thing as well. Sometimes shes okay, sometimes she cries. However it always seems as tho she knows when its for real. I know its only been a few days.... i just worry about it continuing on and on. Shes a great gal, and we look forward to us all having a stressfree family! :)

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Remeber, things always get worse before they get better!
Sometimes dogs and children do that..they will get louder and louder, and then when they realize nothing good comes of it, they'll stop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what we keep telling ourselves. haha
She seems to be a quick learner with obedience, and potty training, so I'm hoping she catches on quick to this as well ;)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
To be honest, this doesn't sound like SA to me. This sounds like a dog who has WAY too much energy and nothing to do with it.

As soon as she gets the okay for ANY activity from the doctor, I'd start teaching her as many stationary tricks (nose and paw targeting, games like "which cup/hand is the treat hidden under", indicated with a paw touch; tilting her head on cue, wagging her tail on command, speak and whisper - there's a lot of thing syou can do that don't really require her to move much, and which you can actually shape even THROUGH a crate

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes... we have been trying to keep her little mind stimulated... and will give those a try!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts