Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a run the other night, thank god I didn't bring my dogs, and these two boxers started following me. One of them was huge. I was a bit nervous because the owner was nowhere in sight. I know boxers aren't usually dangerous, but who the hell knows. One of them kept jumping around me, running off, then returning and jumping around me again. I wasn't quite sure how to handle it. I just kept walking trying not to show fear. LOL! Anyone have suggestions should I run into this problem again? It is something that is always in the back of my mind while out running.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I just do what you did, whether I have the dog with me or not. I turn the other way and walk quickly away, not running or anything, just quickly. Most dogs will stop following you after a short distance.

It's good that you don't fall prey to "oh, well, boxers are nice!" I mean, how many threads have you seen on this board from people saying that their dog is fine- unless someone pats them on the head, or touches their ears, or leans over them, or a million other things? I don't touch dogs I don't know.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Depends really, if i have Holly with me i stay well clear well try to, as she is reactive espically when close to dogs or when she feels trapped, i did however help a little dog out when i had Holly, it was at the end of my road off lead, near a main road!, it had gotten out, luckily i had a neighbours kid with me, the dog ends up sitting on this door step so the kid knocked on the door when i asked her too, and it turns out it was there dog, i could not get close to the dog because of Holly, not that she would hurt it, but she would of barked and this could of set the dog off, i also met one on the same street when i had my nephew, it would not come near us, luckily a man turned up, not a very nice man, said some nice things about the dog NOT!.

Oh and Boxers round here seem to want to kill Holly, i guess it depends on where you live though.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
IT is not so much about showing fear as feeling fear..... If you get your adrenaline up, the dogs will smell it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If I see a loose dog in the distance, I turn around and walk (not run) the opposite direction. You don't want to get their prey drives to kick in. If this becomes a frequent problem, I see nothing wrong with carrying bear spray/pepper spray. If people don't want their dogs sprayed, then don't let them run loose. I love dogs, don't get me wrong, but I want to live another day to keep loving dogs...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you are in an area where you can go through a gate, or go into a store or something, do that. If you're out in the middle of nowhere, carry a cell phone to call for help and/or spray of some kind. If you don't have that, a stick works well to swat them or rocks tossed at them should work. Garbage can lids make a nice, loud noise that will scare them off too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, reading all these responses i feel like an idiot. A few months ago i encountered a pitbull loose, very good looking dog. He was laying near some trash. I went to the store & bought a couple of cans of dog food, popped them open and left it for him a few feet from me. I went inside my building to watch what the dog was going to do. He walked over to the food when i finally left. Guess i wont do that again.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
uuuhhh I usually catch the dog(or try to catch it), take it home and try to locate an owner. cant say its ever occured to me to be scared of strange loose dog lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
I saw a huge GSD running loose next to a very busy road. Didn't even think about it. Stopped the car, grabbed a lead and walked right at the dog. He stopped and stared at me but let me get up to him and to throw a slip lead over his head.
Turns out he belonged to one of my neighbours behind us. Got a chocolate cake out of it.

Catching another neighbours loose steer, on the same stretch of busy road, however was another story.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
It's only happened twice, but I would pick my girl up and walk calmly in the other direction.
This ^ ... ^ ... ^ I have encountered loose dogs in my yard more often than on walks in the wilderness. I am always in fear of my small dogs being attacked. Abbylynn is a different story ... cannot pick her up! Lol! But will walk slowly and take her into the house.

·
Registered
22 Posts
uuuhhh I usually catch the dog(or try to catch it), take it home and try to locate an owner. cant say its ever occured to me to be scared of strange loose dog lol
Same here! Haha. My last encounter was a pit bull running up to our front door when my boyfriend was letting our dogs out at 11 pm. I put them inside, crouched down and called to him with my arms wide open. It never occurred to me to be afraid! He was such a sweetie.
If a dog doesn't respond to me calling it, I move on.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I haven't run into many loose dogs besides my neighbors dogs who are often out off-leash, all but two of them are well behaved. The only time I was somewhat concerned when seeing a loose dog and no owner in sight was a few months ago. I was walking the trails at the park near my house with four other regulars and their dogs, five dogs total, when a boxer comes running up the trail with no one else in sight. Wasn't worried so much about Jubel as some of the dogs with us who aren't always crazy about new dogs charging up to them. We all stopped and looked around for an owner who showed up about 2 minutes later. The boxer was friendly but the giant schnauzer with us doesn't like boxers and was starting to get annoyed with this one pretty quick.

My usual response would be to try and catch the dog if it seems friendly so I could locate the owners but haven't been in a situation yet where that was really needed. Closest to that would be when a loose dog showed up at the dog park by herself. After sitting at the gate for a few minutes and no owner showing up we brought her into the dog park and checked her tags for a number to call. The call went to voice mail right away be a message was left that their dog had just showed up at the dog park and we have her inside. Owners showed up about 15 minutes later, they had been playing with their kids at the playground near the park and the dog ran off. They hadn't though to check the dog park first.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
On our walks I typically know which loose dogs I'm going to run into. The reaction depends on the dog:

The "I'm acting really tough but am a big-ol-doodlehead" Golden I let greet Bella then tell him to go home - he barks and trots back to his house.
The super-sweet but still a puppy Bernese Mtn Dog (named - wait for it....... Bernie) I let walk with us around the cul-du-sac then tell him to go back home when we get to the street.
The bored Mastiffs I talk to and let them greet Bella (although I have to remind them to get out of the road most days!)
The hyper, bouncy, annoying "labradoodle" we just ignore.

If I don't know the dog, I try to remember our training instructions and get my dog's attention first, then I make sure the strange dog knows I have control of my dog and him/her! Surprisingly the pointing and saying "GO HOME!" usually works very well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts