Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have 6 acres with a beautiful 1 acre pond with a fountain and it is fenced but only for med to large dogs. I have a boxer and greyhound and austrailian shep/cattle dog mix and it keeps them in fine. I would only like to have maybe 5 or 6 dogs come that love to swim. How would I go about it.Thank you in advance.....oh yes, how much would I charge?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am looking into doggie day care for Lilly right now. I want to take her once a week to socialize her. Here are the rates for one I am considering. They also have a seperate area for small dogs under 20lbs. They have an indoor/outdoor area that looks very clean and spacious. Alot of them offer webcams so you can check on your pup during the day. Many offer drop off and pick up service as well as transportation to the vet and groomer.

Monday - Friday 6:30 am - 6:00 pm
Full Day: $26
Two-Dogs (same family): $40
Half Day (Up To 5 Hours): $20
They charge an additional $2 to feed the dog (they do not supply food)
There is a $10 off coupon for the first visit

The most expensive ddc I've seen is $32 a day. To get started I would have business cards made (you can get free business cards and other marketing materials from VistaPrint.com. Alot of vets/pet stores will let you post business cards/flyers. I would also look into creating a website. I know for me it has been word of mouth and search engines.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd also want professional trainers/behaviorists who know how to read a dog and how and when to interfere before a fight breaks out, and who evaluate dogs before they permit them to come to the day care in the first place. I also would want to see a good ratio of employees (who are dog knowledgeable) to dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
I would actually start by taking some business classes. Like it or not, you're talking about a small business. You'll need to know about licensing and regulations, book-keeping, taxes, liability, etc.

Then I would take out a whole bunch of liability insurance.

Land and a love of dogs is a start, but only a start.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I agree with the insurance. At the doggy daycare I worked for, a customer opened our front door, and held it open long enough for another customer's dog to escape. The dog ran out into the street and was hit by a car. Stuff happens.

Which brings me to my next idea - inner and outer entrance doors!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts