Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put her food down 2x this morning and she just walked away. She isn't interested in eating it seems. I didn't leave it there and brought it back to kitchen. She has never been food motivated but she has no interest today. She is healthy, just had her vet visit yesterday. She just turned 4 months. What do I do because this isn't going to work M-F when we need to go to work. Any ideas? Any tricks? I just dont think she is hungry. Is she going through a 4 month stage or anything like that?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I once had a rescue pup who just wasn't a "breakfast" dog? She would not eat until noon ... and she is now almost 10 years old and still this way. :)

If she still eats her evening meal ... and had a clean bill of health at the vets ... maybe this is also the case. Maybe she is still a bit stressed from her vet visit yesterday?

I also have a dog who waits his "turn" to eat. He will stand and watch the other two eat ... when they are finished he will eat his. :/ Doesn't matter how much I beg and plead with him to eat! Lol!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Have you tried adding just a little water to stir in (just enough to moistine the food). I increases the aroma of the food, which many dogs find enticing. What food are your feeding?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
When Hamilton was wee, he would wolf his food down as soon as it hit the floor. He would eat it out of toys because he was so interested in food. Now? Meh. He'll eat it when he feels like it, and he'll eat it when the cats are going after it. Generally, he won't eat first thing in the morning, and prefers to eat late morning/noonish and then in the evening. He's growing and active and happy so I just let him eat when he feels like it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bella was the same. From day one at nine weeks she would eat most meals and just sniff with disgust at others. It's so frustrating and upsetting! We took her to the vet a couple times and she was fine as well. I think it is just one of those idiosynchratic things with some. I found the afternoon meal - out of the four was the least interesting so that was dropped. Best not to pander too much - put her food down and turn away - it's hard but she will eat when she is hungry.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I once had a rescue pup who just wasn't a "breakfast" dog? She would not eat until noon ... and she is now almost 10 years old and still this way. :)

If she still eats her evening meal ... and had a clean bill of health at the vets ... maybe this is also the case. Maybe she is still a bit stressed from her vet visit yesterday?

I also have a dog who waits his "turn" to eat. He will stand and watch the other two eat ... when they are finished he will eat his. :/ Doesn't matter how much I beg and plead with him to eat! Lol!
My Dycen and Riley are like this. Depending on who gets to the dinner table first decides who eats first, the other one just waits patiently for the first one to finish.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My Dycen and Riley are like this. Depending on who gets to the dinner table first decides who eats first, the other one just waits patiently for the first one to finish.
It is an odd thing isn't it? Did you teach your dogs to take "turns" also?

I taught my dogs Leeo and Blu Boy to take turns with everything when they were just pups ... never thinking it would also apply to regular meals ... years later! Lol!

OP - How is your girl doing? .......... Has she eaten her food?

·
Registered
933 Posts
It is an odd thing isn't it? Did you teach your dogs to take "turns" also?

I taught my dogs Leeo and Blu Boy to take turns with everything when they were just pups ... never thinking it would also apply to regular meals ... years later! Lol!

OP - How is your girl doing? .......... Has she eaten her food?
May be unintentionally I did??? I always use to have the dogs sit and wait while I filled their bowls individually. And I would alternate who got filled and released first. However, now I just filled their bowls place them in their spots and call the dogs in...

Yes, OP how is your pup today???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts