Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have never been too picky about the dog food we give to our dogs. They feed our two older dogs Purina one smartblend Chicken & Rice Formula. Our Mini Wire-haired Dachshund was being fed the puppy version and has recently been switched him to the adult formula. He's a little over 8 months.

Here's the thing, I have absolutely no say in the matter of what they feed. However, I do get say in how much they feed the puppy. I understand that there are better foods out there, but if I tried to say anything at home, it'd be to deaf ears. To be honest, my other two dogs have done perfectly fine with the food, so I have no really issues with the food, but I don't want to get into it.

Basically, I just need help knowing how much to feed our 12 lb (he's most likely full grown), 8 month mini dachshund daily. He's pretty active, but I wouldn't say he's a non-stop mover. Thanks.

*** Edited: I guess I should say "My family's puppy," only because I don't want people saying "if he's your puppy, why do you get no say?" He's my family's dog; not solely mine.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Easy! If you can easily feel his bony points but not see any but a shadow of the last couple ribs you are feeding him the correct amount. If he is pudgy feed less, bony feed more. I used a third and half cup measure for my medium sized dogs and would feed level or heaping of whichever they needed at the time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Agreed with Kathyy! Every dog is different, but for 12lb 8 month old, he should probably be getting around 1 cup a day? Definitely take a look at the feeding guidelines for that particular food brand, but keep note that sometimes the amounts are on the high-side, so observe how your dog's body is growing and whether you can easily feel ribs, see a nice tucked in tummy, easy to spot waistline, and general energy levels (if he's lethargic, maybe he's being fed too much).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts