Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am doing research for a natural supplement that will help out our aging loved ones. I have talked with vets and they have said joint, urinary and stomach issues are most common. I wanted to reach out to actual owners and ask you what you would like help with in order to keep our aging family members feeling as good as they can.

So if I can ask 3 simple questions...

1. What common issues do you have with your aging dogs?

2. What do you do about them now?

3. What would you like to have?

I hope to be able to bring something to market very soon as I know there are countless senior pets not having the quality of life that they could.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
My Lab - GSD mix is 11 yo.
1. I feed him a little less food to keep him on the lean side.
2. I give him a couple of raw carrots with his food.
3. I feed him twice a day rather than once a day.
4. I give him MIssing Link PLus everyday.
5. I walk him 30 min. every day, sometimes twice a day. He is very active during his walks and looks forward to them.
6. I let him sleep 18 hours a day, if desired.
7. He seems to have no stomach issues, no urinary issues.
8. He has minor allergies, so I given him one generic claratin, based on Vet recommendation. Seems to have reduced ear infections.
9. He sprains his paws more frequently. He seems to have minor joint problems, but no obvious arthritis.
10. His vision is degrading - He can catch a tennis ball, but not a small treat. He could catch a pea when younger.

Note - I like Missing Link Plus. When PetsMart came out with their own brand, I went to another store to buy Missing Link Plus.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 12 year German Shepherd. As an older dog my wife and I have had to make a few changes (and it appears more changes will have to occur) to help Adela. She started to have trouble on our stairs about 2 years ago. We are not sure if it became a confidence issue or more of a joint problem. I started to give her fish oil for her joints and we block off the upstairs of the house when we are not home. We keep Adela in old shape and at close to her ideal weight. She does tire more frequently but is always eager to play or go for a walk. She has trouble with ear infections and has been known to scratch her ears until she has created a bald spot on each of them. I keep her ears clean with baby wipes and a little tea tree oil. She has had some minor stomach issues. We switched her to a senior brand of dog food and limit table scraps (although my mother-in-law, known as "The Spoiler", gives the dog just about anything she wants on her brief visits). Our recent challenge is with bed wetting. Poor Adela wets her dog bed almost nightly. My wife bought a crib pad that we placed over her dog bed. She goes in for testing to see if she has Cushings disease Wednesday March 21st.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad your lab is doing so well!

Definitely keep giving your lab the Missing Link Plus. The glucosamine in there will help his joints. I'm also adding in an anti-inflammatory to my mix and might recommend you try this as well to help him. If there's any inflammation around the joints then there will still be possible pain and lack of mobility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David Zenz,

Sorry to hear Adela is having the issues. My golden retriever Nancy had a lot of the same issues...

There seem to be a lot of more advanced aging things going on with Adela than the product I'm working on was meant for but it would be interesting to see how effective it would be even at a later stage like this. I have sample mixes that I'd be more than happy to send you so you could see what differences there would be in her quality of life. Let me know if you'd be willing to give me more specific feedback.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The major issues we are dealing with are not ones I would consider common, nor could they be helped with a supplement, so I'll stick with some of the minor issues I am dealing with now and have in the past.

Arthritis
loss in hearing
more frequent ear infections
joint issues (unrelated to arthritis)
incontinence
Kidney failure
lumps and tumors (fatty and other)
loss in vision

For these issues, I add COQ10, Omega 3 oil, lower phosphorous foods, pain meds, blood pressure meds, frequent ear cleaning and drops and swimming when possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have CoQ10 in my mix and also RLA. They are both good for organ function. Also consider adding Vitamin C (another thing I have in my mix). Pets don't usually need Vitamin C "if" their kidneys are working properly. As you have described, your pet's kidneys are failing so I recommend supplementing Vitamin C.

Thank you as well for your post. I appreciate it.

The major issues we are dealing with are not ones I would consider common, nor could they be helped with a supplement, so I'll stick with some of the minor issues I am dealing with now and have in the past.

Arthritis
loss in hearing
more frequent ear infections
joint issues (unrelated to arthritis)
incontinence
Kidney failure
lumps and tumors (fatty and other)
loss in vision

For these issues, I add COQ10, Omega 3 oil, lower phosphorous foods, pain meds, blood pressure meds, frequent ear cleaning and drops and swimming when possible.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We've been exceedingly fortunate with Zoey. So far, at 10+/- she's only just recently needed thyroid meds. Lipomas are a bit of a problem in our house, in fact we have to have a sizable one removed later this week. It's half the size of a volleyball and the vet cleared his surgical schedule so he's sure to have time to deal with all the blood supply to it.

She can still stretch out frog dog style, until her lipoma, aka "the lady lump," starts bothering her.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am an administrator on another forum and if I had any control on this one, SeniorRelief would be banned for spamming and this thread would be locked or deleted. SR, asking members for help in your research on common ailments of senior dogs is one thing but it is very disconcerting that you are offering to send your product to members and soliciting their feedback on the results. Is it your intent to use members' dogs as subjects for purposes of testing your product? If you have developed a product you think could help any of our dogs, please fill us in on your background, list the ingredients in your product, let us know what medical conditions it targets and whether it has been tested for safety and efficacy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you lulusmom for your comments. Even though they are unrelated to the topic I will be glad to address your concerns.

I made a point Not to solicit as I am not selling anything. I am, in fact, willing to provide free product to those I believe can benefit from it.

The ingredients are as follows and are all safe and effective: glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamin C, R-ALA, CoQ10, and ginger. In fact, I personally take these same supplements myself to help with my personal aches and pains and health. I have also researched all to make sure that they are safe for pets!

My goal is to help as many people with their aging pets as possible! I hoped coming here to get feedback from others will help me best serve them. I hope this puts you at ease as to my intentions :)

I am an administrator on another forum and if I had any control on this one, SeniorRelief would be banned for spamming and this thread would be locked or deleted. SR, asking members for help in your research on common ailments of senior dogs is one thing but it is very disconcerting that you are offering to send your product to members and soliciting their feedback on the results. Is it your intent to use members' dogs as subjects for purposes of testing your product? If you have developed a product you think could help any of our dogs, please fill us in on your background, list the ingredients in your product, let us know what medical conditions it targets and whether it has been tested for safety and efficacy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish what somebody could tell me what more could I have done for my almost 15 year old Chow Chow.
She started having arthritis over a year ago. She took Vetprofen, Tramadol, and joint suppliments. She had spurs in her neck. About 6 months ago she started Adequin injections. Recently it had got worse. It was hard for her to stand and eat. She would pant so bad, walk a step, sit down. I took her for her Adequin shot last Tues. I told the vet she was much worse. He decided to give her Dexamethason 2mg/ml injection, the day after I took her back she was moving a little better, he gave her another, he said really we had done about all we could. He told me to come by the office the next day(Thursday). He gave me Prednisone 20 mg. tablets, and said to let him know on Monday how she was. It just seemed like on Thursday she was moving slow again, could not hardly walk. Friday it was even worse, she would not get up at all. I made the decision to help her to Rainbow Bridge. Now I question myself. My question is could anything have helped at all? Where the steroids just the last resort? I miss her so.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss... first, you did a lot to help her and 15 yo is ancient for most dogs. You are to be commended that she was 14 before she developed arthritis... many dogs begin to develop arthritis as early as age 9... whatever you had been doing seemed like it worked.

However, she developed spurs, and I don't know an easy way to reduce the pain that they can cause. If your dog was exercising less, expected due to spurs and arthritis, then that contributes to her decline. It sounds like your Vet tried all reasonable drugs, and steroids sounded like a final attempt to relieve swelling and pain. I think your Vet was already frustrated that he couldn't help more. ... In addition, I believe that a dog's kidneys may be more delicate at that age - many old dogs die b/c their kidneys just give out. My own dog died around that age, b/c his kidneys began to fail.

You made a heroic effort ... and I believe you did the compassionate thing in the end, rather than trying to extend her declining quality of life.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I have a 16 year old dog that can no longer jump up on the sofa...
She has problems with her back legs.
I was thinking about getting shorter furniture.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
When you THINK someone is spamming please feel free to hit the report post button so the MODERATORS of this forum can take a look. DO NOT comment in the thread, it's backseat moderating, a bannable offense on this board.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is hard to let them got, but deep down I know that I did all I could. And you are right about the vet. He knows how much I love my pets and how upset I do get, and I believe he knew that it was about to be that time. Thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts