Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what the general consensus here is concerning yearly check ups and what tests you run?
I bring all of mine in for checkups twice a year and of course we go to the vet more often than that for heartworm check ups and things like that.

What I'm wondering is...most of the time during their yearly check up my vet checks out their skin, feels their knees and skeletal frame, looks at their teeth, checks in their ears, looks at their eyes, listens to their hearts, checks their weight, runs a fecal check etc.

However, the only time I've ran blood work on any of them is before they went under anesthesia to get spayed/neutered or if one of them was sick with no apparent cause or reason. My question is, do you run any specific tests on your dog every single year? I am considering this year having a Bile Acid Test ran on my 4 year old and my 2 year old, but, I have no real reason for it...they aren't showing any symptoms of having any health issues....I just like to be on the safe side and I know small dogs are prone to having liver issues...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone here has ran a Bile Acid Test before and if they have, how often do you check it?

For those that haven't ran a BAT, do you run any other regular yearly test and if so, what tests do you have done?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Since I work at a vet Bridgette is there fairly often anyway...we sometimes bring our dogs to play together in the back yard :)

But as for yearly bloodwork I don't do any yet. Bridgette is only (almost) 5 so it's not really necessary except for pre-anesthesia (or if she's sick like you mentioned). We only really recommend geriatric bloodwork for dogs over 8 years. Obviously we recommend other bloodwork for dogs with chronic health issues at any age.

The only things I'd check yearly are fecals and heartworm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts