Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use supplements in your dogs diet? If so, what do you use and why? I currently feed my dogs Primal and NV raw food and have been using Solid Gold Sea Meal, and Eicosaderm as supplements. I like the Solid Gold Sea Meal because it has enzymes in it and I like the Eicosaderm because of the Omega oils and Vitamin E in it. There's a million different kinds of supplements out there and I don't want to go over board but, I'm wondering if I should add a supplement with chondroitin in it? None of my dogs have luxating patellas but I'm just wondering if this would be a helpful preventative of sorts in keeping their bones healthy?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I give probiotics, a joint supplement, a liver supplement and omegas.
What joint supplement do you use, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm really considering adding some kind of joint supplement as well but am not sure what direction to go in really....

i give liver supplement and sea meal..... I think its the best dog food at this age.... i mix oil with food if any skin problem....
What kind of liver supplement do you use?

I use Great Life Enzymes Pro+ and alternate with Solid Gold Seameal. Both great stuff I tell ya.
Any reason for why you alternate between them? I've never heard of Great Life Enzymes Pro+, is it similar to Seameal?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Great life is a probiotic and enzyme supplement with salmon oil powder. I'm actually going to go strictly with seameal. It's a lot cheaper and I like that it has natural seaweed in it. Just trying to finish up the chewable tablets.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I use Seameal and Green Tripe, if that can be considered a supplement...
Bailey is looking great since I have started the Seameal
SeaMeal is the best! And it's very easy to measure, plus my local independent retailer sells it almost $10 less than PetCo..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great life is a probiotic and enzyme supplement with salmon oil powder. I'm actually going to go strictly with seameal. It's a lot cheaper and I like that it has natural seaweed in it. Just trying to finish up the chewable tablets.
Gotcha! I didn't know if maybe there was a reason why you should rotate or something I wasn't aware of so I just wanted to check...:)

I use Seameal and Green Tripe, if that can be considered a supplement...
Bailey is looking great since I have started the Seameal
I try to get at least one serving of Tripe in a week....does the kind you use smell horrible? I bought a canned tripe by Trippet and it is one of the worst smelling things I've ever given my dogs. It gets all over their beards too so they have to get their faces washed afterwards :rolleyes: I was wondering if they all smell this bad or if there are other kinds you can use?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure they all smell bad. What's the benefit of giving tripe?
According to Tripett's web site some of the benefits are:

* Improved appetite and digestion
* Cleaner teeth
* Dry and itchy skin problems improved or eliminated
* Coats with richer color, shine and lower susceptibility to fleas
* Calmer temperaments
* Decreased waste in feces

I've noticed even shinier coats in all my dogs since I've been using it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts