Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Mine get a scoop of Bug Off Garlic, a 1000 or 1200mg salmon or fish oil, a 200 iu vitamin E and Wholistic Digest all plus daily. Ginger also gets a cranberry capsule daily. They get a spoonful of either plain fat free yogurt or pumpkin with the evening meal.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I had been giving them to Max when he was 5-6 but didn't notice any improvement in movement so I dropped them. He started getting reluctant jumping last year at 11 years old and seems more comfortable now after getting them daily for a month. Sassy got them as tolerated and if she got it for a week straight she was back to jumping on the window set at age 16! My dogs seem to respond to the stuff well, I didn't feel any better though.

Feed through a whole bottle as recommended and if you notice improvement then it is helping. Sometimes joint supplements help and sometimes they don't. It isn't easy telling that they help. Sassy was making time in PIII jumpers after she had been on the stuff, couldn't before. Max is playing more now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
At a regular grocery store you should be able to find it near the pie fillings. There should be one that says " Pure 100% Pumpkin " ... the wrong one will say " Pie Filling" You will see in the ingredients on the label as to whether there are spices added ... you do not want that one. I buy " Libby's " brand pure 100% pumpkin. I also put this into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then I put the cubes of pumpkin into freezer zip-loc baggies and take out as I need them. Pure Pumpkin only lasts two days or so in the fridge. It is great with the freezer thing! Someone on DF gave this tip a while back! :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can give this as a frozen treat ( outside ... it is messy) or let defrost and use as a topper on their kibble.
so the pumpkin goes bad in two days after opening it wow thats great for big dogs mine are two chis

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
so the pumpkin goes bad in two days after opening it wow thats great for big dogs mine are two chis
Two to four days it is not good to keep much longer than that. That is why I freeze it. :) If you freeze it in ice cube trays and then bag the pumpkin cubes ... you could give one pumpkin cube time to thaw and give 1/2 of it to each dog ... since they are so small. It would equal out to about a teaspoon each IMO.

I buy the huge cans of pumpkin. I have a hard time finding smaller 8 oz. ones. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
how long can you keep it in the freezer?Can it be give to any dogs even if they are eating a good quality food such as Merrick,Natural Balance,or Nature's Varietty

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
how long can you keep it in the freezer?Can it be give to any dogs even if they are eating a good quality food such as Merrick,Natural Balance,or Nature's Varietty
It will keep in the freezer until it's freezer burned, just like anything else. Yes you can give it to any dog (unless they're allergic to it or something). That has nothing to do with food quality, although of course it's good to feed a high quality food.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just started my golden on the Nupro joint supplement about a month ago. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's really working. He is almost 10 and starting to slow down now--so my hope is this will help those not so great days. Some days are great--some he has a harder time getting up and is slower on our walks than he used to be. A few weeks ago, we had two dogs show up and my dogs were outside at the time in our fenced in backyard. They ran and ran and ran hard--back and forth at the fence for a good 10 minutes. The next day, he was absolutely pitiful.

I went with the Nupro based on the recommendation of a couple of people at two different pet stores. I'm going to finish the container I have and then re-assess the benefits it's giving him and look for alternatives, if necessary.

I'm also starting to give fish oil pills as well. I don't add any other supplements and do feed a high quality food.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i just put my dogs on a product called Connectin for joint support. it is herbal and has no real additives other than porcine flavour.

it's not easy finding supps that don't have tocopherols or soy or other un necessary ingredients....

the other one that i just ordered is Liquid Health. you can find it at amazon, entirely pets....my only peeve with that one....is it has stevia extract, but it's the next to the last item so there is very little.

my friends use liquid health and all have reported significant changes.

i don't use fish oil. i feed fish, so no recommendations, other than the ones my friends use:

http://www.lifelinepet.com/

this product can also be purchased through amazon...and i don't know who else.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts