Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start fish oil, and joint supplements.

Any recommendations? My doxie mix is 16 lbs.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I give my dogs fish oil and vitamin E. You need to give the vitamin E every other day if you give the fish oil to replace the vitamin E the dogs body uses up to utilize the fish oil. Fish oil is given on a daily basis.

I am thinking about joint supplements as my two little ones are now over 5 years of age ... just not sure what kind or dose yet. :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Fish oil daily, vitamin E 3 days a week...plus a Kongful of yogurt and applesauce every weekday.

Edit: yes, human-grade fish oil and vitamin E. She's a little more than 40 pounds and we give her one fish pill and one vit E pill.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I give 1/2 a capsule of human grade 1000mg fish oil daily to my 20 pound dogs. They get 1/2 capsule of 400IU human grade vitamin E three times a week. I also give them 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin ( not pie filling) twice a week for fiber. I do this as it is good for them and one of my dogs needs the fiber for his anal gland issues. :)

I was going to edit my previous post to tell you this but was not certain you would see it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Probiotics/enzymes (I like Vetri Mega Probiotics and Wholistic Pet Digest All Plus)
sometimes Wholistic Pet salmon oil
My Cavaliers also sometimes get a heart healthy supplement (Cardio Strength, Bio Cardio, Heartwise)
They are eating Fromm Beef Frittata atm topped with Fromm and NV canned foods.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Both dogs human grade fish oil liquid in their dinners. Old, arthritic, dog also gets some pure equine MSM in hers. I don't supplement old dog with glucosamine because I give her an Adequan shot every three weeks...that is more effective that oral glucosamine.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Murph gets salmon oil *or sardine*, and a powdered multi vitamin, trace minerals, and a powder that is supposed to help detox all the crap out of his system.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
+1 on Adequan, amazing stuff. If your dog improves on joint supplements but you think he can do better try it.

Max gets human quality joint supplements, vitamin E and some minerals to support his raw diet. He gets raw sardines instead of fish oil. Doesn't need a probiotic but I am keeping that in mind as he is aging.

Coconut oil is fine stuff but it isn't a substitute for fish oil. It is high in omega 6 and we feed fish oil for its omega 3.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I give 1/2 a capsule of human grade 1000mg fish oil daily to my 20 pound dogs. They get 1/2 capsule of 400IU human grade vitamin E three times a week. I also give them 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin ( not pie filling) twice a week for fiber. I do this as it is good for them and one of my dogs needs the fiber for his anal gland issues. :)

I was going to edit my previous post to tell you this but was not certain you would see it.
where do you buy the pure canned pumpkin?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
where do you buy the pure canned pumpkin?
At a regular grocery store you should be able to find it near the pie fillings. There should be one that says " Pure 100% Pumpkin " ... the wrong one will say " Pie Filling" You will see in the ingredients on the label as to whether there are spices added ... you do not want that one. I buy " Libby's " brand pure 100% pumpkin. I also put this into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then I put the cubes of pumpkin into freezer zip-loc baggies and take out as I need them. Pure Pumpkin only lasts two days or so in the fridge. It is great with the freezer thing! Someone on DF gave this tip a while back! :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can give this as a frozen treat ( outside ... it is messy) or let defrost and use as a topper on their kibble.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
At what age would one want to start giving joint supplements as a preventative measure? Sydney will be 5 in May...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts