Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reshi is around 70 pounds and is about a year and half. Not exactly sure of his breed, but he seems to have sighthound in him. He is UTD on parasitic preventative and his bloodwork is sound. He isn't extremely thin, but I'd like to see a couple more pounds on him. Currently he is getting way more kibble than the recommended amount, and being the poor college student that I am, the cost adds up fast. Currently he is eating around 4 cups a day of Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast (34% protein, 18% fat) just to maintain. The recommended amount for his weight is around 3 cups a day. I've been giving him a couple spoonfuls of cottage cheese for his breakfast and I'll throw in a raw egg here and there. Is this okay to be doing? He's not a particularly eager eater, but he loves his cottage cheese and eggs. Could I add some olive oil or fish oil as well, or is this too much fat for him to take in each day? I don't want to set him up for pancreatitis. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He's an immature good sized dog. Bone covering muscle comes in the next couple years as he matures. I'd leave it be. Lean is healthier too.

Cooked egg protein is better absorbed than raw, scramble it before feeding. Experiment, he might be able to handle a whole egg daily. I had a lot of eggs a while back and the dogs' guts were fine on an egg a day. Does he lose weight if you feed less? Sometimes dogs just poop it out if you overfeed. You could also try feeding more often, splitting meals into 3 a day to see if he will maintain weight better.

My raw fed dogs get at least 50% of their calories from fat and are just fine. That's not the same as fat % in kibble because fat has approximately double the calories of protein or carbs. I'd save up fatty scraps from your meats rather than give olive oil and watch it, a tiny bit goes a long way. A 1/2" cube of fat increased the fat content of my old dog's cooked diet by 2% when she got 1000 calories a day. Fish oil is a good thing no matter what. I use fish oil capsules designed for human use, The omega 3s should not degrade as quicker, cheaper and easier to dose than liquid oil. Be very sure there's no xylitol in it though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, this makes me feel a little better. His stool quantity isn't excessive, so that tells me he's actually using the nutrients. He seemed to lose a little when I brought him back down to 3 cups. I do spoil him with a couple pieces of bacon on the weekend while I make myself breakfast, and he does get a pig ear once a week or so. Sometimes I'll cook him up a small steak here and there. He's clearly living a rough life. ;) I think I'll start giving him fish oil capsules. Straight fish oil is expensive! Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad! kathyy is correct, too. Also sighthounds tend to be much leaner in general than other dogs. You typically want to see more muscle on them, than fat....but the fat comes from carbs, not fats. Fats are very good for them!
Here's something i posted somewhere else about supplementation:

[Hi, right now i give our puppy amino acid supplements, that dogs cannot produce themselves. (here is a list that can be found anywhere: "essential amino acids” need to be provided by the diet. The 10 essential amino acids are arginine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine )
"Dogs and cats need 22 amino acids to be healthy. Dogs can synthesize (make) 12 of those 22; cats can synthesize 11 of them. The remaining amino acids must come from the food they eat, which is why they’re called ‘essential’ amino acids. Pets get amino acids from the protein they eat. And the quality and quantity of protein is extremely important for carnivores – it’s the very foundation of their health." A quote from this page, which I did not watch the video, but the text is spot on, from a bunch of other reliable sources! (It's not just opinion!)
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...you-could-destroy-their-kidney-and-liver.aspx

I do cinnamon, for joint inflamation, and tumeric, for general cell health. I mix these into the home-made diet I feed my dogs. I have a 14 year old beagle, 8 year hold basset, and 7 month old sheltie.
The thing i've found, is that if you provide a good diet, you really don't need too many suppliments! (this is a great, short video on their improved diet, that I found from some vet) https://youtu.be/2S39_fo7-Xo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts