Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
". . . We sought to identify breed composition profiles associated with expertise at specific tasks, finding that the Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky contributions are associated with enhanced endurance; Pointer and Saluki are associated with enhanced speed and the Anatolian Shepherd has a positive influence on work."

. . . "The Alaskan sled dog presents a case in which a genetically distinct breed of dog has been developed through the selection and breeding of individuals based solely on their athletic prowess. Interestingly, this continual out-crossing for athletic enhancement has still led to the Alaskan sled dog repeatedly producing its own unique genetic signature. Indeed, the Alaskan sled dog breed proved to be more genetically distinct than breeds of similar heritage such as the Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100721194758.htm

Well that and just 100% beauty.

Photo source: http://www.goexplorenature.com/2010/11/north-to-alaska-wintertime-family-fun.html

SOB

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, in the Jack London books, didn't they use any dog that could work? Like in "The Call of the Wild", they were stealing and buying dogs from down south, try them out, if they didn't work they killed them, if they did work they kept them and bred them. Buck was a "Scotch Collie"/Saint Bernard mix. His friends were all kinds of breeds. It's interesting that they have a distinct genetic signature.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Very cool, thanks for posting!

ETA: I, of course, am taking this to mean that Squash is the pinnacle of perfection. As if we didn't all already know that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have owned an alaskan husky from a racing background. Both her parents were iditarod athletes. She was an amazing dog and LOVED to run. We taught her to skiijor and she loved it though getting her to stop was sometimes a problem . Wish I had a pic to post of her, she was a beauty, pure white and each eye was half brown and half blue. RIP dear SadieAnn

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Very interesting to read how a type is still being fixed while there are outcrosses used continually.

A Dutch musher has a team of Alaskan huskies. He trained with them and one day, the police arrives and tell him he can't or he'd be prosecuted for abuse. Why? Because the Dutch law says there are only 4 breeds allowed to be used for pulling sleds: Siberian huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Samoyeds and the Greenland dog. And because the Alaskan huskies aren't any of those 4 purebreds... they aren't allowed to pull a sled. :doh:

Alaskan huskies, specifically bred to be awesome sleddogs... can't compete in mushing competitions either... :der:

Sometimes laws are stupid.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Very interesting to read how a type is still being fixed while there are outcrosses used continually.

A Dutch musher has a team of Alaskan huskies. He trained with them and one day, the police arrives and tell him he can't or he'd be prosecuted for abuse. Why? Because the Dutch law says there are only 4 breeds allowed to be used for pulling sleds: Siberian huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Samoyeds and the Greenland dog. And because the Alaskan huskies aren't any of those 4 purebreds... they aren't allowed to pull a sled. :doh:

Alaskan huskies, specifically bred to be awesome sleddogs... can't compete in mushing competitions either... :der:

Sometimes laws are stupid.
That is really sad to hear. :( It is also a reminder of how draconian legislation can create completely backwards situations.

Very cool, thanks for posting!

ETA: I, of course, am taking this to mean that Squash is the pinnacle of perfection. As if we didn't all already know that.
. . . . with his own genetic signature!

I have owned an alaskan husky from a racing background. Both her parents were iditarod athletes. She was an amazing dog and LOVED to run. We taught her to skiijor and she loved it though getting her to stop was sometimes a problem . Wish I had a pic to post of her, she was a beauty, pure white and each eye was half brown and half blue. RIP dear SadieAnn
Mine was amazing too. It is so sad when they are gone, but the memories are always with you, and usually the good ones (we try to forget the half eaten couch).:)

SOB

·
Registered
591 Posts
That is really sad to hear. :( It is also a reminder of how draconian legislation can create completely backwards situations.

. . . . with his own genetic signature!

Mine was amazing too. It is so sad when they are gone, but the memories are always with you, and usually the good ones (we try to forget the half eaten couch).:)

SOB
Alaskan Huskies are not a recognized breed nor do I think they will ever be. Few pure bred dogs run these large sleddog races anymore . Years ago a guy ran a team of standard poodles in the Iditarod for 3 years ( i think ) and then the PETA people had fits so the rules for the race were changed to allow ONLY northern breeds to run in it , google Iditarod poodles for a cute song and video.
I spent 16 years living in Wasilla Alaska, home of the Iditarod , and learned so much about these amazing dogs . One of my kids worked for Pletner Kennels a couple summers ( where we got our SadieAnn ) and I knew several of the top mushers . THis was a great year for the race, plenty of snow, not too cold or too warm and the race seems to have passed unto another generation. Martin Busers son Rohn made a great showing this year for a kid ( he is named after one of the checkpoints ) and the winner, Dallas Seavey , is a 3rd generation Iditarod champ. One of my favorites is Deedee Jonrow who has fought breast cancer and STILL ran this year and placed in the top 10. She went to my church and is such a wonderful person who truely loves those dogs. Linda Pletner was the first grandmother to run the race and ran it for several years, now she trains teams and Jr mushers in Houston Alaska .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wife and I were in Alaska last August and went mushing on a glacier with Eric Rogers at his Iditarod training camp. One thing I noted was the dogs did not look anything like what I expected. I was thinking malamutes and siberians but we found a bunch of dogs that were as varied as their numbers, some even looking like border collies.

Eric explained that the ideal Iditarod dog did not have to be strong like a malamute but had to have stamina above all else so the Iditarod dogs were all cross bred to combine stamina, work ethic and team work.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wife and I were in Alaska last August and went mushing on a glacier with Eric Rogers at his Iditarod training camp. One thing I noted was the dogs did not look anything like what I expected. I was thinking malamutes and siberians but we found a bunch of dogs that were as varied as their numbers, some even looking like border collies.

Eric explained that the ideal Iditarod dog did not have to be strong like a malamute but had to have stamina above all else so the Iditarod dogs were all cross bred to combine stamina, work ethic and team work.

wow great pics !! I think Eric is from the Anchorage area so you were probably on Matanuska Glacier or Exit Glacier. I have hiked on both and would love to go mushing out there.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cool article!

I always get people coming up to me at races and saying "What kind of dogs are those? They don't look like what I imagined a sled dog to look like..." or "Those don't look like the snow dogs in the movie".

When I tell people that Jazz is a sled dog, they look at me sideways.
sig 5.jpg

I had an easier time convincing people that my GSD was a sled dog. lol

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Are you going to mushing boot camp??! ME TOO
AWW YEAH. We got invited by the people who run the camp when I said I liked it but I was going in blind. I'm super excited, but they're totally going to judge me when I try and tell them he's an Alaskan.

Please god don't kill me Shambles.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Here also for comparison are purebred (racing bred) Siberian Huskies (ALL the dogs in the following pictures are Siberian Huskies and not Alaskan Huskies)

·
Registered
591 Posts
shoot I AM Alaskan and all 3 of my dogs would be riding in the sled with ME pulling it !!! Skiijoring was as close to mushing I have gotten but it sure was a blast !!! Maybe the cats would pull the dogs ??? ok ok I think I need to go back to bed lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here also for comparison are purebred (racing bred) Siberian Huskies (ALL the dogs in the following pictures are Siberian Huskies and not Alaskan Huskies)

I had one Alaskan husky,SadieAnn, mostly siberian with some arctic wolf mixed in then years later I had a purebred siberian names Polar that looked EXACTLY like Sadieann

1 - 19 of 19 Posts