Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What size collar for a 12 week old Golden Retriever?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kassidy523 
#1 ·
I have already bought a medium and large size collar for her to grow into but I’m not sure if I should purchase a small as well? What do you think?

#2 ·
Getting one that is adjustable is your best option. Get the largest one that fits now, so that you can let it out as she grows. Then, once she is an adult, you can get some non-adjustable ones if you want.

#4 ·
I'm assuming she's not with you yet? If so you can always measure her neck. "Medium" and "large" don't mean much because every company has a different idea of what those mean. If she's coming from a breeder, ask them what size they typically find works for their young pups!

#6 ·
Now that we're down to one dog, I just took a bag-full of leashes, collars and harnesses to our local shelter.

For me, buying a new collar and/or leash is like buying new school supplies (when my kids were school-age.) It signifies a transition and I find it somehow satisfying.

Our rescue dogs all came with collars and leashes. I don't know if a breeder will provide a "starter" collar, but I kinda think they should - along with some of the food the pup has been eating.

#7 ·
I get it! But your breeder should absolutely be able to tell you what size collars the puppies are using by the time they go home. They may even send you home with one - ours gave us a lightweight collar/lead combo that she'd already started teaching them about leash skills with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.