Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have her on a schedule and run her out at certain times and pretty much it's always the same. Anyway a few times she has gone to the door and just layed next to it. It made us super happy lol for a signal but it's only happened a few times. Tonight, she stopped playing with her toys and get sort of fidgeting around and then finally came and stood in front of us and just stared at us. I took that to mean she needed to go out and she did. yeah! How about your dogs? Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch doesn't tell me if he needs to go out. I am not sure who house broke him, but we got him when he was about 2 years old and he was like that when we got him. I just pretty much know when he has to go.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Katie stares at me (starts from a distance and slowly moves closer) and if I don't respond she'll woof. With my husband, she'll nudge his hands.

She's staring, so I better move :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We taught Hamilton to ring bells, but he prefers not to. Usually he'll go sit by the back door, and if we aren't paying attention to him, he'll start making gruffing noises. Alternately, if I'm walking around the house and he needs to go out, he'll start nipping at my feet and ankles. I've noticed lately he'll also just get kind of antsy and unsettled when he needs to go. We've always said "Do you wanna go out??" when taking him out, so now if we ask "Do you wanna go out??" and he DOES need to go, he'll get excited and book it for the front door. If he DOESN'T need to go and we ask, he just ignores us. It helps distinguish between Hamilton being a weirdo, and Hamilton needing to wizz.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sometimes she will come to me, stare, and start whining if I don't take her out immediately. But this happens very rarely, as I usually end up taking her out before she actually has to go badly enough to demand it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ours go to the back door and pace when they need to go potty. Of course, Maddie will also do that when she sees a squirrel or bird that she feels needs chasing - lol!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Usually, they just walk out the back door - real exciting, I know. When the door is closed, Jack will run between a person and the door until we get a clue and open it for him. Bug scratches. Kylie is... not quite four months old. Right now I'm happy she consistently walks out, frankly.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
On the rare occasion Buster has to go bad enough he feels the need to "ask" he'll stare at me, starting from several feet away and inching closer. If I dont pay attention he'll walk up and poke me in the ribs with his nose. If I still dont get the hint he'll start to get really antsy, slap me with his paws and grumble at me. If he's in his room and has to go he'll start to wiggle the baby gate so it rattles against the door frame.

Most of the time I just take him out every couple hours.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Pete's "sign" is that he quietly sneaks away and goes somewhere inconspicuous in the house... we're working on it.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally will get restless and if he really needs to go NOW, he'll start barking and whining. If he's near the front door (say he's on the first floor), he'll either stand by my shoes or go to where I have him wait and do a couple circles and look at me. If he's in the basement, he'll run to the patio door. He also does this when he feels like he needs to throw up (which is interesting).

If he's on my lap, he'll start shaking because he doesn't want to pee on me. I was like "why's he scared suddenly?" but then when I told him to get down, he started barking and circling - then I figured it out.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Our dogs generally go out enough that they don't need to ask. I don't think Maisy has ever asked to go outside, so I have no idea what she would even do. Pip will whine or bark or get very, very excited if you happen to walk by the back door. Squash barks as only Squash (and possibly his brother Shammy) can bark, runs over to the back door, comes back and looks at you like you are a total idiot, and barks some more.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I have a doggy door and fenced in property...
I have absolutely no idea when they have to go outside to make poopies...
They just do it..

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Bentley will scratch at the side door sometimes. or he will run from me,to the door stopping to stare every once and while. Tank will go to the door and stare at it until someone opens it. Mae, I just take her out every two hours since she does not signal she needs to go out.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aidan lays his head in my lap. If he whines, he has to go out. Otherwise, he leads me to his toys or to the living room for cuddle time.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
For the most part I let the dogs out often enough that they don't need to ask. Duncan has only been with me for just over 10 weeks now as a foster and wasn't fully housebroken when he got here so really no signals from him. Jubel will usually stare at me, maybe huff or whine softly at me... the same is true though if he just wants to go upstairs, or thinks it's time for bed. More whining and loud barking occur when he feels it's time for a walk and I disagree. When he's upstairs and I'm in the basement he'll bark softly to get my attention, if he's run over to the back door as I come up the stairs he needs to pee, if he's standing at the gate to the kitchen he wants to come downstairs.... or play.

Jubel currently has his head in my lap and is VERY softly whining. He either needs to pee or just wants to be let upstairs to go nap with my brother. Time to go find out. haha.

Edit: He pooped, peed, and then ran up to nap with my brother. The trifecta.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca shakes her head hard and then looks at us as if to say, "Well? Are you getting off your duff to go take me out? Dogs don't walk themselves, you know." Generally, though, we take her out first thing in the morning, after eating, when she gets up from a nap and before bed time, so there isn't a whole lot of shaking' going on.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My dogs ring the bell on the door handle. but Flash does this when he WANTS to go out not when he NEEDS to go out. which is every 5 min as soon as you sit down to watch tv

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
We used to keep a doggy pad near our couch and now since he's house trained, he remembers where his pads used to be. So he'll sit in front of the couch and look at one of us. If not, he circles (my mother calls it "circling the campfire") and then sits near the couch.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Troubles will generally whine and go to the door.
With Aleu, she will come get me first, she'll woo then start pacing. Most of the time I know what she wants, whether it's food or attention or to go out. It's kinda like the way a parent can tell what their baby wants by the way it cries.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts