Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I’m getting my puppy on Friday. Her mom is a Bernese Mountain Dog and the dad is either a poodle (making her a Bernedoodle) or the dad is a komondor.

She will be 8 weeks on Friday. (See attached picture.)

So far the top runner names are:
Bellatrix (Bella for short)
Quinn
Marley
Lexie

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know all about the woes of puppy naming lol. I will be picking up my pup in less than 2 weeks and I *think* I have her name picked out. We will see!

I really like Bellatrix (Bella or Trixie or short) and Lexi :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! We keep going back to Bella(trix) so it might just be the one... what kind of puppy are you getting? It’s such an exciting time!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I go on the theory that eventually you will open your mouth and the right name will come out. Since you keep coming back to Bella, then that's a good sign that she's a Bella. Of course, you'll spend half your time explaining that it's Bellatrix from Harry Potter, and not Bella from Twilight. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too true! Thanks for the advice! I think you are right, I keep trying to come up with other names but I’m never sure they suit her as much as Bella. Fun fact, in addition to the Harry Potter character (I’m a huge fan) I found out that Bellatrix has two more meanings - strong warrioress and a star in Orion’s Belt. :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Too true! Thanks for the advice! I think you are right, I keep trying to come up with other names but I’m never sure they suit her as much as Bella. Fun fact, in addition to the Harry Potter character (I’m a huge fan) I found out that Bellatrix has two more meanings - strong warrioress and a star in Orion’s Belt. :)
Almost all of the Black family are named after stars or other astronomical features. Sirius is the Dog Star, Regulus is the brightest star in the constellation Leo, and Andromeda is a galaxy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you! We keep going back to Bella(trix) so it might just be the one... what kind of puppy are you getting? It’s such an exciting time!
I love the name!

Very exciting indeed :). My pups genetic makeup includes Shetland Sheepdog, Jack Russell Terrier, Fox Terrier, and a smattering of other mystery breeds.

Here is one of her most recent pics. Having some quality time with her momma.
Pic quality is not great but her cuteness shines through.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like you definitely have one name that stands out!

When I brought Atlas home, he was nameless for a week or more. I had a list of names, and I had a few I was really hoping would work for him. I'd look at him, say them, my boyfriend would call him them... Nothing. Didn't click. I did have Atlas on my list, though it wasn't at the top, but one of his first days home I watched the movie Now You See Me and the one character has a last name of Atlas... Well... I fought it for a bit, but it's the name that stuck! (Atlas is also the name they gave the concept truck for the current version of the Ford F150 - and my boyfriend is a die hard Ford guy which is how it came to be on my list in the first place.)

You're probably ok with 'Bella' but be prepared for people to misunderstand when you say the name! I've learned to pronounce it as At-las, otherwise we get, Alice or even 'Hatlass" once... He also gets called a girl a lot (before they ask his name) even when he's wearing all blue accessories... so sometimes you can't win no matter how hard you try! :p

All the best with your pup! They are a lot of work, but pretty fun too. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
How fun and frustrating at the same time. I was certain our new puppy would be Henry, but he is not a Henry. He is definitely Nico. You will know the name fits when you meet your puppy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Almost all of the Black family are named after stars or other astronomical features. Sirius is the Dog Star, Regulus is the brightest star in the constellation Leo, and Andromeda is a galaxy.
Never realized this. Thanks for posting!

I'm a big fan of the series as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree- it's hard to pick a name for them before you really know them!

My Boston was sort of an impulse buy. We'd been talking about getting another Boston (our first dog was a Boston and had passed 2 years before), we were traveling to see family and I found her picture online. I called the breeder, we talked for close to two hours, and we picked her up two days later. I had a short list of old lady names- Greta topped it, Ruth was on there. Was pretty sure she was going to be a Greta. Took her out of her kennel, cuddled her, and "Evelyn" popped into my head. She became an Evie.

I've always wanted a Harry Potter themed pet name, and when I got my Lab, I decided he would be an Albus. He came home, and it just didn't quite fit. He was too timid and careful to be an Albus. It took almost two weeks before I had a name I liked- I tried Sirius, I tried probably ten other names. "Arlo" popped into my head one day, and it just fit, so he became an Arlo.

You'll find a name that just feels right once she comes home!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts