Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I took the dogs for a walk today. Eric was walking Molly (the submissive one) and I was walking Hailey (the dog-aggressive one). We were nearing the end of our walk when a medium sized dog pushed through the front screen door of a house and ran out to our dogs, hair all on end and barking a bit.

I yelled at him to go home and he slowed down, and sniffed at Molly, who just looked a little scared and confused. Eric asked me what should he do, and I told him to walk Molly away. I took Hailey across the street, of course she's jumping at lead, trying to jump at the dog, then trying to run away, barking, whining, etc. The strange dog gets through with Molly, then approaches Hailey, who tries sniff at it, while lunging at it, then trying to get away, barking, whining, etc. Before the dog reached us, a young guy ran up and called the dog off. He said it wasn't his dog, but he knew the owners. Needless to say, I was very grateful.

The strange dog didn't bare it's teeth, it may have been growling, but Hailey was making so much noise I didn't hear. Usually I carry mace, but I had left it at home. This was my first experience with a loose dog on our walks (I had been extremely lucky so far!)
I wasn't really sure what to do, and I don't wnat to make any mistakes next time this happens, so what should I have done when I saw the dog burst out of it's house?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Heard a rumor once that mace doesn't work on all dogs - just makes 'em angrier. Anyone else hear of this? If it's true, it might have been just as well that you didn't have any on you.

·
Banned
363 Posts
I would get between the oncoming dog and your dog and yell at the oncoming dog. Its far less likely he is human aggressive than dog aggressive, and its a lot easier to keep them away from each other than to break up a fight after it starts.

Mace (pepper spray) should work, has a good track record even with bears, IF you actually get it in their face. Can be tricky stuff to use, wind and all that. Anybody who carries it should buy an extra can and practice in their yard so they know what happens when they press the button. Don't point it in the wrong direction! They also sell versions specially made for dogs.

The problem with pepper spray is it is usually too radical a thing to do when you are unsure if your dog is going to be attacked, like in this case, and after a fight starts you will end up spraying your own dog as well. Sometimes the solution can be worse than the problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would get between the oncoming dog and your dog and yell at the oncoming dog
Our town has alot of loose dogs it seems and this is what I do. I put myself between my dogs and kids and tell the kids to keep walking with the dogs. I haven't been attacked yet. I also tell my kids if the dogs get in a fight drop the lead and back away and let mommy handle it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I find it a bit overreacting to use mace right away. I would yell it usually surpises the dog and body block the dog as you're walking away.

Also, try not to pull on the leash, it tends to make your dog more nervous

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Also, try not to pull on the leash, it tends to make your dog more nervous
Well Hailey was doing a whole lot of jumping around, so while I wasn't pulling on the leash, it was pulling on her.
I definitely didn't panic, but I couldn't stop the adrenaline, lol.
let mommy handle it
If the dogs did got in a fight, how would you handle it?
Also, I wouldn't spray mace at an approaching dog. If it lunged at my dog I would spray it, if it was trying to attack and injure her.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Another for stepping between though you did the right thing by trying to get your girl out of there.

IF you have to break up a fight, grab the dogs BACK legs, never go for the collars as that will get you bitten.

You might also want to train your dog on a reliable sit stay to make her more reliable and easier to handle. I've done that with Angel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts