Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm a new dog owner and new to this forum. Would really appreciate some feeding guidance for my Shih Tzu. We think Jasmine is around 4yrs old. She had puppies 11 weeks ago. They gave me Purina Puppy Chow to feed her because it has extra nutrients. She has behavior consistent with allergies: face rubbing, paw chewing and continuous ear and body scratching. I need to change her food. I am considering Wellness, Simple Food Solutions for relief of food allergies(dry food) or would you recommend another food? Also, what's the best way to transition her to new food? Thank you. I look forward to your advice.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I used to feed one of the grocery store foods ......... it was not good for my dogs.

I will suggest Taste of the Wild. I use the Pacific Stream TOTW. I have a dog who has allergies. I changed his food a little over a month ago with good results. It may seem expensive but it really is not. You do not have to feed as much and it is a 5 star food. It is also grain free. There are other flavors; but I chose the Pacific Stream to avoid chicken. Chicken sometimes is a big allergen to some dogs.

Just remember to change the food over slowly to avoid stomach upsets and the runs. Start by adding a little to his normal feeding for a couple of days, then add a little more for a couple more days, and then so forth until you are completely changed over. You should be able to be switched over in a weeks time. This worked for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do you know your dog is allergic to her food? I have two Shih Tzus that I rescued last January and the male exhibits the same behavior you just described. I feed my dogs Nutro Ultra for Adult Small Breed. The number one ingredient is Real Chicken. It has no corn gluten, no corn, wheat or soy, no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Since I have had him I have tried Iams, Science Diet, Kibbles N Bits and now the Nutro. All dry food. I don't see a difference in the scratching, biting his back feet and rubbing his face. When I change their diet I start by using a mixture of 75% of the current food and 25% of the new for three days, then I go to 50/50 for three days, then 25% current and 75% new for three days then 100% new after that.

Please post if you find an answer for the allergies.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the Nutro is an acceptable kibble as well. Not top-of-the-line, but a good food at a comfortable price. I like the fact that Natural Choice has brown rice as the primary grain, and my shih-tzu/yorkie mix has stopped scratching, and has a much shinier coat now that we have switched from what the rescue was feeding him (Beneful).
(fyi, he is 7-months-old and is eating Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Puppy)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Wandac0917, While researching Jasmine's sypmtoms I came across several sites describing symptoms of dog food allergies including this one: http://www.wolfweb.com.au/acd/dogsallergies.htm . Chicken is listed as a possible problem causing food. Could be why your male shih tzu exhibits some of the allergy behaviors. Good luck with the allergy problem solving for your shih tzu and thanks for your response to my post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the help MariJoy. Poor little Bandit still bites his back feet. I will definitely look into the info you have provided.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts