Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Okay this is all "hypothetical" here... But something that could very well possibly be considered in the future.)

As most of you know, Donatello is an only dog. (I really, really, really like it that way.) I've explained to someone that I'm not the traditional "dog-lover". It takes a lot for me to be attached to a dog, and it takes a lot for me to even like one... Mostly due to their personalities... Just like children with me, I like them when they're quiet, well-mannered, and outta-the-way! lol!

My step-mother has three dogs... One that's 9yrs old, another that's going on 5yrs old, and now the latest pup... It is too much commotion for me, and I don't even live there! lol! I like her dogs, I adore the oldest one, but I'm not big on multiple un-trained pooches... Sorry if that doesn't sound like me, but that's how I am...

Donatello has stole my heart, but I cannot even imagine what it'd be like if I had a second dog... I'm one of those people that are a "one-friend-person", all through-out grade-school and high-school, I had but one best-friend, and a "few" semi-friends... I'm that way with dogs it seems...

But...

Some people have recommended that a second dog in the family would be great for Donatello; And I'm starting to find that to be true... He completely opens up and lets loose, even for just a few minutes, when he's around other dogs... It's a cute and adorable side that I rarely get to see...

However... When/If I move out on my own and get my own place... What do I do with Donatello? I really don't want another dog, even if it'd be good for him... He's a big enough responsibility for me, and I don't want to drag myself down just so he's happy and content...

Is there anything I can do with him/for him that will counter-act that need for another dog? What can I do with him that will strengthen our bond?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't advise getting another dog for your dog in most cases. The only reason to get another dog is because you want it.

Soooo... Playdates. Day care. Dog park. Training classes. Give him lots of opportunities to meet and play with other dogs.

To strengthen your bond, playing and training. Find a game you can really have fun with. Take him to a class for some new kind of skill.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Four...

He gets plenty of playdates, some of which cause him behavioral set-backs, lol... But he does play with other dogs at least two, three times a month. (That doesn't sound like much, but we spend from sun-up to sun-down over there and for the next few days Donatello's completely zonked.)... We used to go to the dog park a lot, but since some set-backs of our [my family], I have to conserve what little gas I have...

I do training with him, not a lot, but (in the training section I've talked about this.) I'm teaching him "touch" right now, he's picked it up pretty good in the last week... He's not big on "playing" much... Every now and again, him and I will sit and play with his toys for a few minutes, then he'll just go lay down and look at me like I'm crazy. lol!

Thanks for the suggestions... : ) I'd love to have plenty of dogs, like an Irish Wolfhound, but there is no way in heck I'd get one as a "second" dog... Wooboy!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ilya and Lola don't seem to care about each other too much except when someone else is going to get something they aren't. Sometimes, they play together... but I get the impression Ilya doesn't think she's fun and Lola shares the same sentiments. (they both seem to want to play differently)

The most annoying trait I find with my own children and having two dogs is the competitiveness. :( Someone always wants it first, are sitting in the best spot, has more, wasn't fair....

Sometimes, on rare occassions, it seems as thought they are quite fond of each other and will share their toy with someone who's feeling down. ... let me re-emphasize.... rare. Both my older son and Ilya love to play pranks on others when bored.

So..... If you like not having the extra activity around you and don't what your guilty strings pulled... I would stick with just one. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Kaki was an only dog until a few months ago. As you know, she is a fearful dog too. It hasn't really changed her. She rarely interacts with hughbert unless we're at the DP. But after all these months, the frustration, patience, and training is paying off. Her recall is 100%. She doesn't shy away as often when I'm in a bad mood. Right now we're working on touch with various parts of my body to get over the fear of touching me(i.e. 'shoulder' 'knee' etc.). She'll even look at me during training sessions! So I say keep up the hard work. It'll pay off.
Plus, I always discourage people from getting another dog for their dog.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I agree with FiC - if you don't want another dog, don't get one.

Think of it this way - you have one dog with issues, and now you're going to bring in another. That's twice the work, twice the planning, twice the food, twice the training, and there's no reason whatsoever that the new dog himself might not have an issue that needs taking care of.

I've though about the whole "how would Marge do with another dog?," and although I knew I wasn't actually going to get one, I decided it'd be a bad idea either way.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have a fearful dog, but I got my second dog for ME< not her. It does benifit her indirectly though. I have a dog I can play with, and a dog I can cuddle with. Much less frustration for all of us.:)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So..... If you like not having the extra activity around you and don't what your guilty strings pulled... I would stick with just one. :)
Haha... Donatello is quite jealous of other dogs, I shouldn't say "jealous", because he doesn't get mean or bossy about it... But if my step-mother's JR-mix starts growling and play biting with me Donatello has/and will jump right in bite at him back... I don't think he realizes that me and Spot are just "playing"... Whenever I start kissing on another dog, I'll close my eyes and open them to find myself kissing on Donatello with his butt in their face. lmao. I'm a sucker for guilt-trips, and was almost guilt-tripped into getting another dog... lol!

Kaki was an only dog until a few months ago. As you know, she is a fearful dog too. It hasn't really changed her. She rarely interacts with hughbert unless we're at the DP. But after all these months, the frustration, patience, and training is paying off. Her recall is 100%. She doesn't shy away as often when I'm in a bad mood. Right now we're working on touch with various parts of my body to get over the fear of touching me(i.e. 'shoulder' 'knee' etc.). She'll even look at me during training sessions! So I say keep up the hard work. It'll pay off.

Plus, I always discourage people from getting another dog for their dog.
Congratulations on her training! : D I'm glad she's making improvements and is able to work through your "bad moods", as you call them.

Made me sad to read this statement.
Well, it's the truth... I would, thinking about it, had I not discussed this with you all... I would have rushed right out and got a puppy for Donatello... I would have suffered through the "twice the"-issues, and just put-up-with-it all just for the chance to make him happy... But I really don't want to do that to myself, and on the off-set-chance it wouldn't make him happy... I'd be 100x more miserable for myself and him!

Think of it this way - you have one dog with issues, and now you're going to bring in another. That's twice the work, twice the planning, twice the food, twice the training, and there's no reason whatsoever that the new dog himself might not have an issue that needs taking care of.
You're right... Like I mentioned I would have suffered through all of that, except the part about the other dog having "issues"... I didn't even think that could happen... Thanks for mentioning that! I've went through hell and back for Donatello, whenever I get another dog, I want to make sure I won't go through the same pain...

I have a fearful dog, but I got my second dog for ME< not her. It does benifit her indirectly though. I have a dog I can play with, and a dog I can cuddle with. Much less frustration for all of us.:)
Well, Donatello's a fearful dog, and very shy... But he's attached to me like a Siamese-twin! He doesn't "follow me around", but he loves cuddling, snuggling, hugs and kisses and if that's what I did with him all day he'd be in heaven!

I believed that he wished his tummy-ache would have stuck around longer, because that day I was all over him like a mama-bear. lol! I could just tell he was eating it up... lol!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this was all "hypothetical" for the future... Right now I don't have the money for a second a dog, I can't even go to the dog park like I like to...

I was talking about in the future when I can afford it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts