Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to dog ownership (my first dog passed away just before christmas of a sudden illness) and so me and my family adopted a new puppy, a stray from a local reserve. Shortly after getting her we noticed she had a limp( mid january) and the vet told us she had a severe knee injury. early february she recieved her surgery (at the age of approx 5-6 months) and the vet told us she would need to be on complete bed rest for 12 weeks. At first it wasn't a big problem the medication made her drowsy and her leg hurt enough that she stayed fairly still. But as the twelve week mark approached she got more and more energy. It's now been over 12weeks the vet said she is allowed to go for a 5 minute walk each day and absolutly no running.She also recently got fixed and because the vet didn't give us any antibiotics after her spaying ( he said she wouldn't need them) her stitches got infected which as you can guess adds up to more bed rest. As you can probably imagine she's hard to contain.
she is now somewhere around 9 months old and we have just begun walking her and all she does is pull, she will choke herself the whole walk with her nose shoved into the ground. another problem is she play very rough and bites... a lot. I know if i don't do something now we will have a real problem. She is a medium sized german sheppard mix (possibly a type of husky).
Please if anyone has any advise of the fastest way to tame her

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
It isn't standard procedure to prescribe antibiotics after a spay, so your vet didn't do anything wrong there. Was she licking at the sutures?

Either way - I'd get her started in some basic obedience classes and see about some private training sessions too to get her caught up on her manners.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Poor girl! She's been thru a lot hasn't she? Bless you for rescuing, we need more ppl to do that.

Have never had any of the probs you are describing but Dr. Sophia Yin has a great site on dog behavior (don't know it off hand but found it via google) that might be able to help you.

Best of luck & don't give up!!! She also might have a lot of pent up frustration from having to be on rest, so that might have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I suspect most of this is related to the bed rest. The first thing anyone will recommend with bad behavior is more exercise- because 90% of the time, that's all the dog needs.

I'd grin and bear it until she's cleared to exercise. Except for the biting. Read "The Bite Stops Here" sticky at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
717 Posts
SHe needs one of those easy walk harnesses so she cant pull when being walked, or a head halter if she can take to it-- then at least she will be less wild on leash...
And give lots of big raw bones so she can chew some of her wildness out....

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
These two free downloads may help: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

1. If she has all of her shots, then it's time to socialize her with lots of different people and dogs.
2. Teach her Bite Inhibition - See: The Bite Stops Here in the new owner section.
3. Look up "Loose Leash Training" and "Silky Leash training"
4. Engage her brain - teach her sit, down, come, shake, and so on. The fastest way to 'tame' her is to teach her at least 100 cues. Your choice which ones. I suggest enrolling in a dog training class.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts