Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I came home to find that our German Shepherd had killed our terrier mix. The terrier mix had epilepsy, and the Shepherd had gotten aggressive towards him two times in the past 3 years only when he was having a seizure. In the past seizures, she seemed like she either was trying to hold him down by the throat. She was never aggressive towards him, our other dog, or my wife or I. She would play tug of war and let me take things out of her mouth without growling or showing any signs of aggression. Our concern is that we have a chihuahua who is sickly with diabetes, and we just don’t trust her around our other dog. Should I just have her euthanized, try to bring her to a rescue facility, or try to rehome her in an only dog home. She is a sweet loving dog, but if I bring her to the pound; I’m sure they are going to destroy her.

·
Registered
363 Posts
After reading your story I am not totally clear if it is the shepherd you are looking to get rid of or the chihuahua. Personally I would not want that shepherd in my house if he had killed my other dog. How awful for that poor little terrier.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
I know this is going to hurt to hear, but one dog killing another during something like seizure activity is not abnormal. In fact, it is firmly within the range of normal behavior for any dog with prey drive, especially given the size difference. It's even pretty predictable (sadly).

I understand not trusting her in your home, even with separation, and certainly I'd have an emotionally very hard time having the animal in my home period.

But I would not expect her to be destroyed by a shelter, and I would not have any hesitation or qualms rehoming. I would have MANY about euthanizing for this. She's not dangerous, she's not abnormal, she didn't do anything that makes her unsafe in another home - even another home with other dogs, provided they are not having seizures and are of similar size to her.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm very sorry that happened to you and your family.

A few options I see are

1). Keep them completely separated. This dog can never be trusted around other dogs again, IMO. It would be a crate and rotate situation, making sure they always have at least 2 barriers separating them (crate and a door, gate and door, two doors, etc). Potentially, Shepherd could be on a leash relaxing with you while you guys watch TV, if there isn't the issue of leash frustration which could make things worse.

2). Work with a breed specific rescue to try and rehome her.

3). After the other options have been exhausted, euth.

I don't think the dog is truly aggressive. I think you have a breed with high prey drive and dogs are kind of instinctively driven to take out the weak/sick. Unfortunately, it isn't a very rare phenomenon. I've heard of dogs killing other dogs even in my own circle, especially with a large high prey drive dog and a smaller dog. This is why many people never leave their dogs together unsupervised.

I know it's probably hard to deal with her now after what has happened, but remember that she is an animal and didn't maliciously kill your other dog. She still needs you to look out for her best interest, which IMO would be to reach out to every single breed specific rescue you can find within a 10 hour drive (and follow up with them as needed) to try and have her placed versus euthanized. She doesn't sound like a bad dog, just unfortuante circumstance.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
She's not dangerous, she's not abnormal, she didn't do anything that makes her unsafe in another home - even another home with other dogs, provided they are not having seizures and are of similar size to her.
This. If you don't feel you can keep her, which is understandable, I would recommend surrendering her to a reputable no-kill shelter or rescue to rehome.

Cases like this are why I always recommend that people to keep small dogs and large dogs separated (crated or separate rooms) when not supervised if I hear that a large dog owner is getting a little dog, or vice versa. Big dogs injuring or killing small dogs, accidentally or intentionally, is unfortunately pretty common. I'm so sorry you had to find out this way :(

Grand mal dog seizures are really freaky to see/hear even if you understand what you're looking at, and other dogs don't understand. It doesn't seem strange to me that it would trigger an aggressive response in an otherwise low-aggression dog.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I had a Shepherd that was very aggressive to someone on Dilanten for seizures. When they stopped taking that drug, the dog was fine with them.

You knew your dog would hold down the dog that was seizing. The fact that you left them together when you went out allowed this to escalate.

I never (and I mean NEVER) leave any of my dogs loose together when I am not there (and I don't have them together when I AM there but that is a different discussion). You have (apparently) two dogs. I would simply not have those two dogs together alone ever. Too much can happen (as you have sadly found out).

The Shepherd is not untrustworthy any more than any other dog. You need to manage the situation and not leave loose dogs alone together. I am sorry you had to learn this lesson this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts