Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got our Coonhound Auggie from a woman my father works with. She found him wandering around a campsite, severely malnourished and shaking, fully grown, without a collar.

She took him in, but has many dogs already, and knew that our dog Penny had passed away a few months earlier.

She gave him to us, saying how he loves to be outside, but doesn't bite, and he cries a lot. My mother has done nothing but express how much she wants the dog gone. Auggie is such a sweet dog and has rarely given me a problem. We have to gate him off to the kitchen/bathroom and basement when we're not home because he's big and needs to be groomed so his nails dont destroy the flooring, and he tends to knock the gate over recently.

He's never done this for me. I was trying to explain that when he looks like he wants out of the gate when we leave. I stand outside of the gate and tell him no. If he puts his paw up to it anyway, I lift the gate and push him back with it, and then put the gate back up (obviously, the gate thing isn't working very well, but bare with me). When I do this, Auggie stays back and watches me go. I can come back in an hour, and after having been the only one around, he hasn't caused any trouble. I let him out and reluctantly gate him up again...

I realize it was a mistake to tell my mother that this works for me, because she flips over any expression of wanting to keep this poor dog. Now I've overheard her telling my father about what I told her, obviously expressing it as though I have no idea what the dog is like, seemingly as to discount my opinions completely, as if I have no idea what I'm talking about.

What can I do about this? I don't want to get rid of this dog and know that it will take time and patience. I have a strong feeling that my mother does not understand dogs. Trying to tell her that the fact that he knocked over the gate for her was likely because he's not used to being bottled up in a house and gated off all day is something that she does not understand or consider. He seems to have been severely neglected if he was someone's dog, and is now having to adapt to being family pet.

Other than this gate, Auggie is not an aggressive dog. In my family, my siblings and I are grown and all in/starting college. I think with having his nails trimmed and having some patience, Auggie will be well-loved (by everyone but my mother, who is clearly not a dog person and I don't think my father sees that she's just trying to get her way because she's never liked dogs in the first place). Even though my father loves dogs, he is on the fence about keeping Auggie. My mother obviously influences these decisions, and he would be very angry if I mention my mothers' obvious hatred for this dog.

How can I help them understand that he's a *dog*? That he is not pre-house broken? That this dog, that is equally fed/walked/taken out by my siblings and I, is no threat? (Our previous dogs were from no-kill shelters and were housebroken).

The "last straw" was yesterday, when Auggie knocked over the gate and my mother said he went to the front window and got his *long* nails on the curtain, when looking outside, partially pulling down the curtain. My mother frantically called my father, telling him that the dog 'wrecked' the house when it really was only the curtain. My father became angry and locked Auggie in the basement.

This obviously happened because he hasn't been groomed yet....

Please, if you read any of this? Can you please offer suggestions? I really want to keep this dog. He really is sweet when you're around to pay attention to him. : (

Kate

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Pulling down the curtain has nothing to do with being groomed. Even with trimmed nails, they can still scratch floors or whatever. It's a training issue and that takes time. It doesn't sound like your parents are going to properly care for him, and spend the proper time and learn.the methods to train him.
I feel it would be best for the dog to ne somewhere he is wanted, why not rehome him? Even well trained dogs make mistakes. If your mother doesn't like dogs, and he gets locked in the basement, that's really no life to have. Instead of trying to convince mom, I would work hard on.finding him a great home, and once you are on.your own and can properly care for a dog, then.get one of your own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His nail caught the weave of the curtain. His nails have been getting caught on the bed he sleeps on as well, so I do think it has something to do with getting him groomed with his nails trimmed down. I was wondering if it matters that I and others in my family want this dog? We have a great yard/home for a dog his size, and I feel that he doesn't give me much problem because I DO appreciate him and love him, and would gladly get him groomed myself so that he wouldn't get gated off any certain portion of our house. I decided against moving into a dorm so I could take care of this dog. Instead I will be commuting this year to spend as much time as possible with him.

I don't feel it was a mistake to have gotten this dog, even though one person in the house never liked them. I feel that my mother would get used to Auggie the way she did with our previous well-loved dogs, and I was hoping it wouldn't come off as out of line to truly want to care for him with the help of my siblings and father.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Try sitting your mother down and talking calmly with her. Yelling, shouting, fighting, or being flat out rude will never help, of course. (Not saying you ARE doing this, just don't do it.) Anyway, explain to her that it's going to take time, patience, and love. One of the things I always thought was a good "saying" was, "Would you get rid of your kid just because he/she didn't always listen right away?"

Some people just don't like animals a whole lot. And since yourself and your siblings are grown-ups now your mother probably has gotten used to having a more calm house and the dog is likely a bit stressful for her now. She will need time to adjust again.

Devote a lot of your time to the dog, and work hard on his training. Show her when he makes progress.

However, if you do not think this dog will not be properly cared for while you're away it's best that you re-home him to an amazing home.

These situations are always hard. I wish you the best of luck, and I am sure you will do whatever is right for the dog.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You can also buy a nail trimmer and clip the dog's nails yourself, if you feel comfortable doing this. That way you can work on getting him into the rest of the house.

Also, exercise is very very important and will help the dog to be more calm. He needs to be walked at least once, and more likely twice a day for 30 minutes at a time. Then he also needs mental stimulation, which comes from training. And he needs loads of toys to keep him occupied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts