Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like something possibly organic and that kills fleas. He can't have his frontline for a week or 2. He doesn't really have fleas that much but I just want a shampoo that makes him clean and also kills whatever fleas are on him.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have read that the blue dawn dish detergent kills fleas on dogs and puppies both. Just rinse very well and then use conditioner. I have never tried it myself though.

Maybe someone will come along with an answer for this ..... :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
So he's on Frontline and still has fleas? If that's the case I would ask the doctor about Capstar and start flea combing and treating your house.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, like I said he can't have his frontline for a week or 2. He is getting over parvo and has mediction and I can't give him his first frontline or heartworm medicine for 2 weeks. I would like to bathe him in a week because he has this smell kind of like from the kennels and the animal hospital he was at.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try dawn dish soap to kill the fleas ... then something with oatmeal to condition the skin ... even just oatmeal works. I used to do this for my cats at the beginning and end of the season worked fine on them.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
No, like I said he can't have his frontline for a week or 2. He is getting over parvo and has mediction and I can't give him his first frontline or heartworm medicine for 2 weeks. I would like to bathe him in a week because he has this smell kind of like from the kennels and the animal hospital he was at.
I didn't know if that was because he wasn't due yet and it wasn't working or what. We use Episoothe shampoo for Hamilton because he had flaky skin when he was younger. The vet sold it to us. It's gentle enough to use daily. Doesn't do anything for fleas though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have used Ivory dish soap on many dogs as puppies, and it was gentle on skin and dealt with the random flea or two. Also used dawn, but seemed to have more cases of itchy puppies after the dawn. For simply bathing when a flea or two wasn't a concern, have you considered baby shampoo?

·
Registered
891 Posts
If fleas aren't a concern right now, I'd actually not bathe him at all yet. His skin needs its natural oils. You can wipe him down with a warm, damp wash cloth. This is what I've done since Molly was a pup & since she's short haired, she's actually never needed a bath. Once, I popped her into the sink to hose off her feet because they were very muddy but otherwise, she's naturally very clean and the washcloth does the trick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts