Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My Sadie is learning a lot from our little kitten~Rusty (rethinking his name as his color is changing :() He has taught her that kittens do NOT play as hard a big dogs do. He has taught her to be patiant (sp?) and to slow down. He taught her how to play "kitty" games~~ lol. But the most important thing this little kitten taught my dog was that drinking out of a water bowl is a GOOD THING!! :D

He finally got big enough to get onto Sadies dog tray and drink out of her water dish, but he wont eat her food. Other than that Sadie would only drink out of a fauset, the tub or toilet.

They are still teaching eachother things every day. It is so cool to watch them play, but of course when i grab my camera? they stop! GRRR! lol ~~ so funny. Was wondering what or who had taught your dog things? (besides training)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Aw, Rusty's teachings sound cute.

Unfortunately my dog has been attacked (did not need stitches thank God) by a big dog and was played very roughly by another big dog, so now he's on the offense with bigger dogs. But we're slowly teaching him not all big dogs are going to jump right in and bully him. He's a small dog who has that "Neapolitan complex". But the good side I guess would be that from another dog he's learned that sticks are fun to chew.

That's all I can come up with right now and I hear you about getting out the camera. As soon as I get mine out, he stops what he's doing too! Frustrating.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a West Highland Terrier here, Scout, who was raised by my daughter (now in college) and a big yella hound (now deceased), and is now training his new little brother, Tucker, a 6-mo-old ridgeback mix. Scout has pretty much taught Tucker everything he knows about living in the city, but Tucker's not been on the boat yet, or camping, so he still has a lot to learn.

It really made the basic obedience go pretty quickly, you say "outside?" Scout runs to the door followed by Tucker. You say "sit," Scout sits and gets a treat; Tucker observes, and sits down. Tucker's better at it now than Scout is. Well actually, Scout's such a good dog that I tolerate too much of his westie stubbornness.

One thing Scout hasn't taught Tucker is, a good reliable recall. Problem I have is, I don't really know how to train that skill, but Scout comes by it naturally. No kidding even when totally focused on whatever rodent or lizard he thinks is hiding in the woodpile, I can call him in with a whisper (sort of a stage whisper).

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
The only other person who teaches my dogs anything is my Dad......just the habits I have to un-train! Lol! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts