Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm a new user and a veteran dog owner. I already have two dogs, and recently adopted a stray when his owners decided that they would simply leave him behind when they moved away. My two other dogs are Louie, an Australian Shepherd X Lab/Beagle mix, and Ringo, a Cavalier King Charles X Basset mix. Snickers, our new dog, appears to be a Dachshund mixed with who-knows-what else. He is a little over ten pounds, and has striking, expressive pale yellow / pale blues eyes. His coloration is that of a chocolate miniature pinscher, but his face is very broad, wrinkly, and "bully". His fur is extremely close, sleek, and shiny. He is also extremely muscular. He acts and looks nothing like the miniature pinscher X dachshund/chihuahua mix I had in the past: he's quiet, affectionate, independent, playful, and loves to burrow under the covers :)

I can post more photos soon. From the image and description, do any mixes pop out in your mind?

Thanks!

snickers.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best thing to do is get a bloodtest.
They don't cost much. Thats how we found out our outside dog was German Shepherd mixed with a Wolf. (Last puppy mill I go to :/)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The DNA tests aren't very accurate. Fun but not to be relied on.

Do you have any other pictures? That one doesn't show his body shape very well.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
From the description and picture I would guess beagle/dachshund mix, but it's hard to say without pictures from different angles. He could have some bully in there, but I'm inclined to think those features came from a hound (based on the picture)...they can be pretty muscular and have a broadish head with some wrinkles between the eyes. How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
259 Posts
More pictures! Better angles! Looks pretty awesome; those eyes really pop out in an awesome-creepy way.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?
Lol off-topic! But regardless, to the OP, if you've a little money to spare, the DNA tests are intriguing, if nothing else. Some people have better results than others. For me, it confirmed that Jax is half-husky (though he hardly looks it, aside from his ears and the general shading down his sides, colors are totally different and people often jump to ask if he's a pitt-mix), though the mixed side was too mixed for the test to give any real determination. Still, I was pleased with it for the $50 I spent (Wisdom Panel Insights on eBay), while some people have been rather disappointed with seemingly random/odd results. I don't know how much DNA tests run and that's probably a thing to be done by the vet, but perhaps an option if you're truly curious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll post a couple of new pictures hopefully tomorrow. He weighs right around ten pounds. The picture really isn't clear, but he doesn't really look anything like a beagle in person, and doesn't really act like one either. It's his eyes that have me wondering. They're just so unusual looking!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Am I the only one who is thinking Australian Kelpie mix? Reminds me a little of Thumper. :) Sure has striking eyes that little one! :)

Where are you Thumper? ... haven't seen him in a while. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He does look a lot like a Kelpie! Hmm. He definitely is mixed with something that has stiff ears. His ears flop over usually, but that often get stuck standing up and he can perk them up to look very pointed. He doesn't have "thin" ears / cartilage by any means.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts