Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new puppy has to constantly give us kisses. This is my first dog in long tine that has done this. My other rottie would give a kiss everyonec in a great while or when I asked her for one. My doberman is also the same about kissing/licking!

So what makes this puppy feel she needs to kiss/lick me all the time! Is it a form of insecurity?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I've read a lot of theories...this is just MY opinion...

Domesticated dogs are basically (mentally/emotionally) like baby or juvenile wolves....they've retained a lot of the behavior that we, as humans, find endearing and entertaining (and it makes dogs more biddable than an non-domesticate animal).

The licking is a remnant behavior...puppies lick mom to solicit regurgitation. Submissive/younger pack animals lick as a sign of submission. I don't think it's a sign of insecurity...I think it's a sign of immaturity and/or submission/deference to a human. And sometimes it's just because you have something tasty smelling on your face or breath and/or have shaped/reinforced that behavior over time - dogs licks and gets attention makes it more likely to happen again.

I don't like dogs licking my face, so it's not something I encourage. But, there are a few very naturally submissive dogs that can't help themselves, despite the behavior never being "rewarded."

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I don't reward at all when she does this. I actually find it very annoying because I pesonally don't like dripping wet dog saliva all over me! LOL

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I think it has to do with the dog as an individual as to why they lick so often. Summer is an insecure dog in many instances and I think her obsessive licking stems from that as well as her dog reactivity. Her licking has turned into a self rewarding behavior. We've been working on it a lot and it's slowed down. Every now and then she gets into a 'licking mood' and I have to remind her to stop.

I should point out that Summer's licking is not reserved to just people. She will obsessively lick anything in front of her until you physically stop her.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thats so funny--one of my dogs is a licker also.
I know the family that has his father and I asked them if he was a licker and they laughed and said yes.
I also met the people that have his brother and when I asked if he was a licker they looked and me and said "How did you know?"
Maybe there is a licking gene
LOL

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
It seems most of my dogs have done some licking. My little bait dog was a huge licker and though it did become less as her confidence built up, it never went away. Some of mine would lick once or twice and be done, some gave kisses only when asked. The two that I currently have lick a little too much. Carsten does it to Oliver and Oliver does it back to Carsten then they come and think they should lick on me. I am afraid I do not build up their confidence when I tell the "Go lay down!" as the licking grosses me out. A little goes a long way, I should say. :)
Inga used to be obsessed with bare feet. She would lick and lick and lick, it was gross. I wonder what that meant. Oh, an the feet were clean not stinky. lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just putting this out their, our saliva to dogs is very sweet, but its also toxic to them in large quantities...if a dog is licking your face he/she might be trying to get your salvia due to its taste to them, but that should be discouraged because it is acually bad for your dog....
It is my arms, legs, hands. deffinetly NOT my face! LOL

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Personally, I can't stand a dog who licks on me all the time. It's not that it's gross, I just don't like it.

Both of mine will try to get an odd lick on my arm or leg but it's a firm no. Butch would lick my face til he had no strength left in his poor little tongue. We have been working on this issue for 5 yrs (he must have been allowed to when he was younger since I got him at age 1 or so). I have tried to teach him "give me kisses" but he's not always successful in stopping..:p. Roxxy is the total opposite. Most times it's all I can do to get a kiss (which "kiss" is on my nose. When she does, I just feel so special! ;)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Just putting this out their, our saliva to dogs is very sweet, but its also toxic to them in large quantities...if a dog is licking your face he/she might be trying to get your salvia due to its taste to them, but that should be discouraged because it is acually bad for your dog....
I have to say, this is the first time I've ever heard this. Do you have a source? I can't imagine what in human saliva would be toxic to dogs. And I don't even want to imagine the gross (literally and figuratively :rolleyes:) quantities a dog would have to ingest for it to be toxic :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have to say, this is the first time I've ever heard this. Do you have a source? I can't imagine what in human saliva would be toxic to dogs. And I don't even want to imagine the gross (literally and figuratively :rolleyes:) quantities a dog would have to ingest for it to be toxic :eek:
Too funny--you read my mind-----eeeewwwwww

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Nash licks us in what seems to be a submissive posturing type of thing. Some dogs I know do it because they get a reaction out of people (EWW! GET AWAY! usually accompanied by jumping and flailing around).

·
Registered
350 Posts
My family's dog always licks arms and legs. I know our sweat carries salt, so maybe that is what she likes. She also does a lot leg licking right after you get out of the shower (then she jumps into the shower to lick up the excess water). THat is just a weird quirk of hers. Ha ha.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My brother taught his pug to lick his feet, because he said it feels like a foot massage.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally, I can't stand a dog who licks on me all the time. It's not that it's gross, I just don't like it.

)
this is how I feel. I had taught my last Rottie to give a kiss (only when I ask her) on my chin, but it was just one lick and then I would sit up praising her with a good girl! She always acted so proud of herself! LOL

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I had taught one dog to "give me a hug and a kiss". She never jumped on me unless I asked her to. The two I have now...it's a red letter day when they DON'T jump and there aren't many of those...:D

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I would think our sweat or whatever tastes interesting to dogs..they don't sweat so it's uniquely human "taste". I don't like licking either. If I have a dog that's a big licker and it's a problem..teach him something else to do...just like teaching bite inhibition in a pup..licking means I leave. Get him to sit, spin, rollover whatever and then give him the reward of your attention.

Mandy..it's a pup right? Could it be she is teething? Licking releases endorphins and can relieve pain...this is actually how obsessive licking gets started, they "feel good' when they lick so they in turn lick more. Maybe she needs some cold frozen soft chewies to relieve some of the discomfort?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mandy..it's a pup right? Could it be she is teething? Licking releases endorphins and can relieve pain...this is actually how obsessive licking gets started, they "feel good' when they lick so they in turn lick more. Maybe she needs some cold frozen soft chewies to relieve some of the discomfort?
7-8 months old and done teething.! I really think it is a comforting thing! But she is getting better and we are working on this with her! Thank goodness. The car ride home hubby and I were drenched! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts