Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... in order to cutdown on pet hair and dander around the home?

I have two cats (one long gray fur, one short cream colored fur,) and one small dog (cream colored fur). My fiance thinks he has a slight allergy to them and I know there must be more I can do to cut down on the fur and dander around here.

I've read some other postings on the topic; however I'd love to hear if anyone has any certain tricks or routines they use.

So far I am:

* Washing pet bedding and our bedding weekly

* Using scotch pet pads to pick up fur

* Vacuuming weekly

* Bathing the dog weekly/coming all 3 weekly

* Keeping the dog off our couches/chairs/bed

I plan to:

* Get a Dyson "The Animal" vacuum (registered for it for our wedding!)

* Vacuum every other day once I have a better vacuum

* Get a furminator

* Groom the pets more frequently once I have one

Any tips, tricks or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Pink

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What are you feeding? I noticed my dogs had a lot more dander and shedding issues when they were on low quality food.

I also give my dogs salmon oil pills with omega 3 every day, which helps a lot with the dander/shedding too. My cat gets tuna or salmon now and again as he can't swallow large pills.

Daily brushings help too (I brush my dogs outside to prevent the fur getting all over the house), as does sweeping and vacuuming daily.

I wouldn't advise bathing them every week as it can strip the natural oils from their coats and will probably make the dander worse. That being said, water baths with no shampoo is fine. Just soaking them, hosing them or even spritzing them with a spray bottle of water and then brushing will help get rid of loose fur. Since cats aren't typically fans of water, it might be better to to use a wet/damp cloth on them instead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I'm feeding her Iams. Thanks for the note on bathing... I'll cut back on the shampooing!

Man, I can't wait to get that vacuum. :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
My allergies stopped being a problem when I switched all pets to raw, and kept the bedroom door closed. No animals allowed where I sleep. It was hard but the cats are finally adjusted to sleeping on the couch, and I no longer have to take medicine.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Along with the things you already have listed, I brush my pets daily and supplement their food. Under normal circumstances I'd be feeding them a higher quality food, but Kirkland is all I can afford right now. Higher quality food does seem to cut down on dander and shedding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!
Does anyone know the cheapest place/way I could get a furminator?
I have a $3 coupon for one at petsmart but am wondering if there's a cheaper route.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't advise bathing them every week as it can strip the natural oils from their coats and will probably make the dander worse. That being said, water baths with no shampoo is fine. Just soaking them, hosing them or even spritzing them with a spray bottle of water and then brushing will help get rid of loose fur. Since cats aren't typically fans of water, it might be better to to use a wet/damp cloth on them instead.
I have definitely found this to help-- cutting down on bath frequency actually helps to keep their skin healthier. So only bathe the critters when they really need it. :)

It also is a good idea to keep all animals out from where you sleep, jesirose.

Besides those two things, we've just found it helpful to do brushing outside as often as you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts