Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not on your dog, on your floors! I have broken three vacuums in the past few months because one of my dogs sheds A LOT!!!!!!!! He looks like an Anatolian shepherd mix, but might be lab or GSD mix. He was a rescue pup. Anyway, I can not keep up with his shedding and it is driving me crazy. I need suggestions for a high powered vacuum that can keep up and any other helpful hints.

BTW, I brush, comb or furminate him at least once a day and he is on high quality foods.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Will he let you vacuum him? I use to vacuum my old horse and he loved it. Might help cut down on the hair on the floor.

·
Registered
818 Posts
They are kinda expensive, and I finally broke down and bought one last Christmas, but I love my Dyson Ball vacuum cleaner. So easy to use, and never loses its suction. Love, Love it! And eventho' they are expensive alot of stores give gift cert. when buying them, or a free Dyson hand vac. So that is cool! They do come with a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know what type of flooring you have but a Home Depot Rigid ShopVac does wonderful in my Grooming shop.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We have a dyson as well and I love it... we have the now discontinued D18 (Slim) since we have mostly hard floors, and it does a really good job keeping up with the kids and cats :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
After 3 vacuums going kaput due to pet hair (and fairly quickly after buying them, even cleaning them out each use), I gave up on em. I had a Shark, Dirt Devil and I forget what brand the canister vac was.

In October, I went out and bought a super powered wet/dry vac, and I kid you not, it puts every other vacuum I've ever had TO SHAME!! Picks up everything! Though at times it'll actually lifts up the carpet (even sucked up a few carpet nails last week). HAHA

This is what I got:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I must be a cheapie! I bought a Eureka True Clean. It's not a Dyson,but it works well for me. It has a wide track rollers and other pet friendly parts,such as a Pet Power Paw,a small roller brush for cleaning stairs and upholstery.Didn't break the bank buying it,that's the good part about it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I use a Eureka myself, and have not had any problems. And of course, I brush my girls a couple times a week, which really helps. Also, when I had Betty, I used the Furminator on her, and when I got all the dead coat out, the hair around the house decreased tremendously, and after that, all I had to do was brush her on occasion with a regular brush. Might want to try the Furminator, or an undercoat rake, to get all the hair that's been shed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a very expensive Royal vacuum years ago and it choked on Golden Retriever fur.

My current one is Dyson 15 Animal and it sucks :rolleyes: very well. I'd never buy anything else after using a Dyson. Leonbergers blow coat twice a year - tuffs of fur go everywhere. In between the blowing, they need brushing three times a week.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
How much are we talking for the Dyson? I have also killed three vacuums in the past 2 years, though one was killed by a chewed cord, not hair. I had the Bissell Pet Hair most recently and it was awful, the insides just burned up in a matter of months. I also borrowed a friends Kirby ($1000 vacuum) and it didn't fare much better. No permanent damage, but I had to return it in embarrassment when it got clogged with hair and I couldn't get it out. I'm thinking the shop vac sounds good, doubting I'll be able to afford the Dyson....

·
Banned
593 Posts
I use a Dyson Animal Vacuum too. The best vacuum ever, IMO. I love it! Couldn't live without it! :D

How much are we talking for the Dyson? I have also killed three vacuums in the past 2 years, though one was killed by a chewed cord, not hair. I had the Bissell Pet Hair most recently and it was awful, the insides just burned up in a matter of months. I also borrowed a friends Kirby ($1000 vacuum) and it didn't fare much better. No permanent damage, but I had to return it in embarrassment when it got clogged with hair and I couldn't get it out. I'm thinking the shop vac sounds good, doubting I'll be able to afford the Dyson....
It's been awhile since I bought my Dyson but I believe I paid $450.00 for it on sale at Lowe's Home Improvement. I drove all over town but all the Lowe's in my area where sold out because they where on sale...... so I drove an hour to the next city to get mine..........I guess I could of just saved the money on gas and bought one full price. :eek: Oh well, it was a fun drive anyway! In my area the going rate for a Dyson is $499.99 to $599.99.

As for the shop vac's, I've heard they work pretty well too. My sister uses one and she has 5 dogs, cats, and kids all tracking stuff in. She lives on a farm. She has mostly tile and carpet in the bedrooms.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I checked out the dyson at walmart, it was $399 but not the animal one...I'm going to save up for it, it isn't as much as I thought it would be. I did go ahead and buy a shop vac, I needed one anyway since the litter spilling incident, and I love it, even though it isn't great for regular vacuuming of the carpets, I've found a million other uses for it already.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The Dyson is the best by far! Paid over $500 for mine a few years ago, but well worth every cent. I don't have dog hair anywhere, because I have Poodles and a Shih Tzu, but, they do bring in sand and leaves and whatnot.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I have area rugs, of course, but the house is mostly hardwood. Does the Dyson animal do okay on hardwood or is there another Dyson that would be better?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Dyson does great on non-carpet floors. I actually use ours in our kennel building too. The main difference between the models (ie the animal) are just the attachments...so just find the model that has the attachements you'll use mose. The motor and everything else is the same. Different stores will carry different colors too...but they're all the same basic vac.

We've had ours for...oh....almost 5 years now. Paid about $400 I think....still works great!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts