Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I either make my own treats, or I buy treats that are either just meat or mostly meat, without any grains or preservatives or chemicals or anything. I like using the chicken or duck jerky for dogs that you can buy at Sam's Club. Right now that's the only treat I buy. I cut it up along the "grid" marks with scissors to make training treats, and whenever I leave him home alone I give him a couple of whole ones to munch on. I also like to put liver, meat, heart, etc. in the dehydrator and make my own treats that way. I've also made dehydrated sweet potato, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, bananas, apples, etc. and he loves those, too!

And on occasion I'll buy him something like a bully stick or a cow trachea. I just read the labels and make sure there isn't anything bad in there. Most bully sticks have "beef pizzle" as their only ingredient and that's fine by me! But there are others that have a bunch of other stuff in there too to make it like a "fake bully stick." Those are usually the cheaper ones that look to perfect to be actual bully sticks.

But yeah, just read the labels and feed your dog whatever you feel comfortable with! A treat is just that, a treat, and while you don't want to be giving anything to your dog that will be harmful to him, you also don't have to religiously feed him raw ONLY. Some cooked/dehydrated treats will be fine.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts