Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of Peanut butter does everyone buy and where from? I've been look at the brands they sell in the stores in my area (Kroger, Walmart, Meijers, Target) and they all seem to have a lot of added sugar. I live in the Midwest.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't buy peanut butter just for my dog as I rarely give it to her. Just occasionally in her Kong. When I do give some to her, I just use what I have on hand for myself to eat which is usually Safeway's brand O Organics Peanut Butter. Ingredients are just peanuts and sea salt. Good stuff.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Kroger has a natural peanut butter that isn't really any more expensive than the basic brand names. I buy it for myself and the dogs get a bit.

Given the amount they eat, I wouldn't care about added sugar. The important thing is NO artificial sweeteners, a few brands have xylitol which is deadly to dogs.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Kroger has a natural peanut butter that isn't really any more expensive than the basic brand names. I buy it for myself and the dogs get a bit.

Given the amount they eat, I wouldn't care about added sugar. The important thing is NO artificial sweeteners, a few brands have xylitol which is deadly to dogs.
That's the one I use, as well. If you don't have a Kroger (or affiliated store) in your area, look for Laura Scudder brand.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I buy the Costco organic peanut butter; it's two jars, but it lasts a long time before going bad! Another peanuts-and-sea-salt option.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I just use whatever I have in the house. Sometimes it's Kraft Whipped peanut butter. Sometimes its store-brand natural peanut butter. Or Skippy smooth. Basically whatever type I happen to need for whatever recipe I'm making and is on sale.

I don't worry about the added sugar. My dogs get so little peanut butter on a regular basis that I don't worry about it. It's a treat - like cake. Who cares how much sugar is in the cake as long as they're not eating it for every meal? :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't give peanut butter anymore; her sensitive stomach doesn't agree with it; tried but it was a Kroger organic. Kroger is also Ralphs, King Super, Baker's, City Market, Dillions, Food 4 Less, Foods Co., Fred Meyer, Fry's, Gerbes, JayC, Metro Market, Owen's, Pay Less Supermarkets, Pick N Save, QFC and Smith's. I've been to Ralphs, King Super too and they all have the same type of home brand organics. However if I want her attentions she loves STICKS, breaks them into little pieces and then gets another one !! Here she is with her STICKS:
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0192.jpg

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I buy whatever's on sale so long as it doesn't have xylitol. Sometimes I make my own (just blend peanuts and add a little oil).

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I get the skippy natural smooth with honey.. I get it because I like it and don't mind sharing with the dogs ... just have to be careful that they not putting the artificial sweeteners in what you .. like Xoltoy (sp) That one will cause me to have a reaction closing up my throat that I check all packaged food products and stay away from candies and gum.. and it is very dangerous for the dogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts