Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this site and I would just really like some help deciding on what breed to buy. My family and I have been looking for a dog for some time and we don't know exactly what breed might suite us. This is our requirements.

1. The dog would have to be most preferably non-shedding but it doesn't have to be.
2. The dog does not have to go on daily walks but a play session in the fenced backyard would be enough on some days.
3. The dog could probably be fine being left home alone for at least 7 hours some days.
4. The dog's energy has to be in the middle. not too energetic and not too lazy.
5. The dog can tolerate both hot and cold weather.
6. We would like at least either a tiny,small, or medium dog. No large dog breeds please.

Would anyone have any recommendation on a dog breed? Thanks...:D

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I would suggest looking for an adult (4-7 years) small dog in rescue, preferably through a breed rescue or one which fosters dogs in-home only rathre than a sheltering facility so you can better evaluate the dog's ability to stay alone in a home environment while someone works.

Most small dogs have a life expectancy of 12-14 years, so even a 7 year old still has plenty of years ahead of him or her. But look for a fully mature adult and you should be all set- MOST companion breeds (and yes, I'm including teh terriers in this, as other than the JRTs and Patterdales, most of them have been bred for pets first for most of the last hundred years and will have moderate energy levels by maturity) should fit the rest of your requirements. Avoid corgis and anything with that type of coat as that's typically the worst for shedding.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
1. The dog would have to be most preferably non-shedding but it doesn't have to be.
2. The dog does not have to go on daily walks but a play session in the fenced backyard would be enough on some days.
3. The dog could probably be fine being left home alone for at least 7 hours some days.
4. The dog's energy has to be in the middle. not too energetic and not too lazy.
5. The dog can tolerate both hot and cold weather.
6. We would like at least either a tiny,small, or medium dog. No large dog breeds please.
First, welcome to the boards. I hope we can help, but I'm afraid you're not going to like my answer.

You're going to have a lot of difficulty with #2, as it is contradicted by #4, and usually #6, too. Even the laziest dog is going to require a daily walk. It's not just about physical exercise (though that's important), it's also about mental stimulus. In general, dogs need to see and smell a lot of different things in the course of a day. A game of fetch in a yard will tire a dog out physically, but they won't be getting new experiences needed to wear it out mentally. Daily training helps, but it's important for a dog to experience new places. This is a personal, subjective scale, but I'd define a medium-energy dog as one that requires at least 60 minutes of daily walks to avoid going stir-crazy; I'd define a low-energy dog as one that requires only 30 minutes.

Also, a dog's energy level generally decreases with size due to heat dissipation & metabolism. Labs are one notable exception, but the smaller breeds tend to be hyperactive, and the larger breeds slow & lazy.

Of course, I'm speaking in generalities - my best advice to you is to stop thinking of breeds (unless the non-shedding is important), and go to a shelter to meet some adult dogs with established personalities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts