Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I turned 15 on Monday. My family already owns two dogs. One is very gentle (Lab mix), and the other is a bit more feisty, but quite small (Terrier mix). The Lab is basically my sister's dog, and the Terrier is my mother's. Now I'll be getting one (for my birthday), as in, we will want the dog to bond mostly to me.

Jack (Lab mix) and Terry (Terrier mix) are best friends. We aren't exactly sure which one is alpha among themselves. Originally, we thought it was Jack. Now we think it might be Terry.

I'll be getting a female dog (my mother's request), and, though I personally like larger dogs, will probably need one that's more of a medium size (30-50 lbs, preferably). We are very used to shedding (two cats as well, and we're pretty sure Jack has a little German Shepherd in him), but my mother is allergic to almost all dogs except Labs.

That's why I'll be hoping for a Lab mix. I'm not going to be really picky about which kind of dog I get (the only two things I'm going to really be adamant about is that it's a female, and that she's a mutt), but I would like some opinions.

Like I said, I'm 15. I understand if you'd be skeptical, but I believe that I will be able to handle a dog that might be more stubborn. Also, I will probably be adopting from a rescue center. I will look for puppies in particular, however.

What I'd hope for is an intelligent, very trainable dog, who is just a little more laid-back, and will be OK in a house with two other dogs and two cats. A gentle mouth would be a great bonus. Also, we're moving in the early fall (adopting the dog after the move, of course), and our number one priority in the house we get is a huge backyard (my mom wants two acres) a little bit into the country. We will be putting up a fence if there isn't one up already.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
personally I'd say take a pop on down to the shelter and go fishin'!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I wouldn't risk a Beagle-mix in a house with cats. Sorry, it just doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm with Xeph -- go down to your shelter and see what catches your eye!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts