Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live in Dublin, Ireland. Previously I lived in the country and kept golden retrievers. But now I live in a small house with a tiny garden and I want a dog, but the space is limited. If I wanted something similar to a golden but smaller, what should I get ?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
A cocker spaniel perhaps? Or some other kind of smaller spaniel? Maybe a mixed breed shelter dog?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I'd say make a list of the traits that you liked about Goldens (for example, energy level or ease of training etc) and what traits you didn't like or would just prefer not to have now (for example, size)

Then you can start looking for smaller dogs with the traits you prefer. You might find that a breed that looks nothing like a Golden but has a similar personality is the right breed.

And I don't know what kind of rescues or shelters you have in Ireland, but a young adult rescue dog can be a GREAT choice as you can have an idea already of their personality, energy level and many even come house trained and leash trained which is super convenient for a small house with small garden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice, cocker spaniel sounds good. I liked the nature of golden retrievers they are always easy going and friendly.
I have heard that there are some genetic problems with cocker spaniels, is that correct ? I'll check out the rescue centres straight away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice, cocker spaniel sounds good. I liked the nature of golden retrievers they are always easy going and friendly.
I have heard that there are some genetic problems with cocker spaniels, is that correct ? I'll check out the rescue centres straight away, not sure how to identify them but I'll try a google search to see what I can find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts